Information Technology Services
ITS provides support for UCOP owned Apple computers less than 5 years old. Support is provided only for UCOP-owned computers, not personally owned devices. Apple computers are not included in the UCOP standard computing bundle and require an exception request. Customers share support responsibility with ITS:
- ITS support: ITS conducts operating system upgrades (i.e., to Maverick or Yosemite); provides support for UCOP standard software; the Apple operating system; and diagnoses hardware problems, making referrals to the Apple Store as necessary. ITS installs purchased nonstandard software upon request.
- Customer self service: Customers are granted administrator rights and are required to perform Apple software updates on a monthly basis for security purposes. Customers are expected to be familiar with the Mac operating system and general navigation. Customers should not upgrade their operating systems as it may result in a unbootable system.
Configuration. All UCOP owned Macs
- get the UCOP standard anti-virus program (Trend Micro), Adobe Reader, Big Fix, and Microsoft Office,
- use UCOP’s Active Directory, and
- connect to personal and departmental file shares, and to network printers.
Problems with Outlook
ITS provides recommendations for avoiding known problems using Outlook on a Mac.
All UCOP personnel with a UCOP owned Apple computer under five years old.
If a request for an Apple computer is approved, ITS purchases the nonstandard hardware and issues a one-time charge to the department for the difference in price between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard equipment. For more information, see the Computer Hardware service description, and the Nonstandard Equipment Request Guidelines.