Seeking medical treatment

How to get medical treatment when you are injured on the job

Where do I go for medical treatment?

384 Embarcadero West
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 465-9565

Oakland Medical Center
3701 Broadway, 5th Floor
Oakland, CA 94611
(510) 752-1244

2222 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 642-6891

Who authorizes medical treatment?

All medical treatment that is beyond First Aid or Emergency care must be authorized by your claims examiner at Sedgwick CMS.

No one else may authorize such medical care.

Can my supervisor authorize medical treatment?

Your supervisor can make an initial referral:

  • For first aid treatment,
  • For emergency care, or
  • To the University's designated medical provider.

But, your supervisor cannot authorize any follow-up care. Only Sedgwick CMS can authorize medical care beyond the initial referral.

In the case of a need for Emergency care, your supervisor should refer or escort you to the nearest emergency care facility, or call an ambulance, as circumstances require.

Can I go to my own doctor?

If you and your personal physician filled out the Personal Physician Pre-designation form before the injury happened, you can go to your personal physician immediately after the injury.

If you and your personal physician did not fill out the Pre-designation Form before the injury happened, you can begin treating with your personal physician thirty (30) days after the date on which you reported the injury to your supervisor.

Where can I get the forms to pre-designate my personal physician to be my treater after an injury, and to pre-designate my personal chiropractor or acupuncturist in case I wish to change treating physicians? You can print the forms from this website. Or, you can call Disability Management Services and we will send you one.

Send the completed form to Disability Management Services.

Can I change doctors?

Yes. You have the right to one change of physician, which you can request at any time.

If you request a change of physician during the first thirty (30) days after you report your injury to your supervisor, you can change to your personal chiropractor or personal acupuncturist if you filled out the pre-designation forms before the injury occurred.

If you request a change of physician thirty (30) or more days after you report your injury to your supervisor, you can be treated by any physician of your own choice.

Who do I contact if I want to: change doctors, obtain a copy of my medical report, or talk about my medical care or about medical bills I've received (related to my worker's compensation treatment)?

Contact your Claims Administrator at Sedgwick CMS: (510) 302-3180

What is UC's Worker's Compensation policy number?

The University is self-insured for Workers' Compensation. Instead of having a "carrier", the University has a Third Party Administrator: Sedgwick CMS.

Since the University is self-insured, there is no insurance policy number.

If your doctor's office asks you for the name and address of your employer's workers' compensation "carrier," and for your employer's "policy number," give them the following information:

Sedgwick CMS 510-302-3180
Insurance Policy Number: No Policy. Self-Insured