Information Technology Services
ITCS administers UCOP mobile device practices including model, plan, option and accessory offerings; purchase, configuration and billing; and tracking, monitoring and auditing.
UCOP mobile device practices augment the UC systemwide BFB-G-46 Policy: Guidelines for the Purchase and Use of Cellular Phones and Other Portable Electronic Resources (pdf) and specify more stringent practices applicable to UCOP personnel, which are found in the Presidential Guidelines Covering UCOP Mobile Devices (pdf).
UCOP allows personally owned smartphones to connect to UCOP email, calendar, and contacts for business purposes, provided UCOP security standards are adopted. UCOP personnel must not use or store University restricted information on personally owned mobile devices. Examples of restricted information include Social Security numbers, ethnicity, date of birth, and financial information, such as credit card number or bank account number. See UC policy, IS-3, Electronic Information Security (pdf) for more information.
Under the UCOP mobile device guidelines (pdf), only individuals who meet the following criteria are provided a mobile device:
- Their job requires frequent travel (25% of business days)
- Their job responsibilities include providing essential, time-sensitive response (e.g., emergency response personnel)
Individuals who meet the criteria to receive a UCOP issued mobile device
- May receive a smartphone
- May receive either a laptop or a wifi-only tablet (not both)
- Must not use the UCOP issued mobile device as their primary device for personal communications
- Are limited to select, low-cost, standard-issue models
- May replace mobile devices only at end of life, not end of contract term
A rigorous formal exception process is used to assess and substantiate non-standard needs. The process entails:
- Submission of a business case/justification, financial, and impact analyses
- Division Leader, or Chief of Staff delegate, endorsement/sponsorship
- ITCS initial assessment and recommendations
- Executive Director of UCOP Operations final determination
How to Order
Use the Service Hub to request a UCOP owned mobile device.
The cost of the service is covered by central IT funding. Requesting departments may be required to cover costs associated with exceptions and replacements due to loss or damages resulting from carelessness or mishandling.