Information Technology Services
Wireless Network Access
ITS provides access to three wireless networks in UCOP locations in Oakland (Franklin, Kaiser, OSF, and Broadway buildings), Sacramento, and the UC Path Center in Riverside.
|Network Name||Intended User||Secure?|
OPnet: This is the default wireless connection for UCOP personnel. OPnet uses strong encryption and authentication, which enables UCOP personnel to use their computer log-in and password to securely access file shares, printers, and other services behind the UCOP firewall. OPnet provides broad coverage, allowing convenient email access in hallways, cubes, offices, and conference rooms.
UCOP: This is an unsecure network for visitors.
eduroam: This a secure wireless access service for campus visitors and other individuals affiliated with participating education and research institutions worldwide. UCOP staff can use eduroam whenever they visit a participating institution, and campus staff visiting UCOP can use eduroam, if their home location is an eduroam member.
How to Order or Request Support
- Go to your wireless connections menu and select OPnet.
- At the prompt, provide your regular UCOP log-in, password and, for iPhones and iPads, the domain. The “domain” is ad\ as in ad\jsmith.
- If prompted, accept the certificate.
- Go to your wireless connections menu and select UCOP
- Enter ucop guest for the username and welcome for the password.
For UCOP personnel:
- Request eduroam access from the Service Hub.
- Once you’ve received configuration instructions, go to your wireless connections menu and select eduroam.
Eduroam participants from other campuses should follow their campus or location instructions for accessing the service.
Availability of Service
24/7, except during planned outages
- OPnet network: UCOP personnel only.
- UCOP guest network: Anyone at a UCOP location
- eduroam network: UCOP personnel and individuals affiliated with eduroam participating institutions
The cost of the service is covered by central IT funding.