Institutional Research and Academic Planning
Academic calendar policies
The academic calendar for all UC general campuses is set by the Provost of the University of California. The campus Chancellors have authority for setting calendars for professional schools and certain professional programs for working adults. UC general campuses are required to have common start dates for all quarters and semesters, 146 instructional days per academic year, and to avoid calendaring residence hall move-in dates on fall religious holidays.
- Delegation of Authority re Academic and Administrative Calendars, January 1977 – Regents Standing Order 100.4(h) delegates authority from the President to the Academic Vice President to approve campus and administrative calendars.
- Guidelines for Establishing the Academic and Administrative Calendar, July 1987 – Sets out number of instructional days, examination days, and observed national holidays.
- Common Start Dates, January 2005 – Directs campuses to align instruction start dates.
- Policy on Religious Holiday Conflict with Residence Hall “Move-In” Days, June 2007 – Requires campuses to avoid calendar conflict with religious holidays when scheduling fall residence hall move-in days.
- Guidelines on Exceptions to the Policy for Addressing Religious Holiday Conflict with Residence Hall “Move-In” Days, July 2008 – Sets out conditions under which campuses may schedule fall residence hall move-in days on religious holidays.
- Approved instructional start dates at undergraduate campuses, 2023-24 to 2028-29 – Provides all term start dates, move-in dates and religious holidays.