Information Technology Services
UC Tech Awards Program Description
- Individuals or teams, including those who were equally involved in large projects.
- Staff and faculty employed by the University of California.
- Technology-centered functions, including technology, research, academic, and business support units.
- Those working in cross-location and cross-functional teams are encouraged to participate or nominate their colleagues.
The IT Leadership Council selection committee assesses submissions along the following criteria:
- Complexity – How complex was/were the problem(s) addressed?
- Impact – How impactful was the work – number of individuals impacted, and/or depth of impact?
- Mission alignment – Does the work advance the university’s mission or key values of access, affordability, and excellence?
About the IT Leadership Council’s Selection Committee
The UC Tech Awards Program selection committee is composed of five members of the IT Leadership Council, including one member of the UC Office of the President and four others from locations who rotate annually. The committee determines the award winners on the basis of submitted materials and in accordance with the selection criteria. The names of committee members are listed on the program website after the selections have been announced each year (~June 1, 2023).
- Do I /we apply for an “individual” or “team” award?
The IT Leadership Council welcomes individual to apply. If the individual is leader of a project team, that individual can acknowledge those who worked on the project with them in their application and during the awards ceremony, but the focus will be on the individual leader. On the other hand, if project teams would like to apply as a group, they are also welcomed to do so.
- How far back in time can I submit projects?
If you chose to celebrate a project team, the project must be operational and have been implemented within the last three years.
- Is there a limit on the number submissions for one individual or team?
The deadline for submission of applications is Monday, May 1, 2023, by 5:00 p.m. Use one form for each submission.
The information you will need to apply/nominate a colleague:
- Name, title, and email of the person submitting the application/recommendation.
- Name of individual or team being proposed for an award (Please limit team names to 60 characters)
- A descriptive narrative about the person or team – explaining their eligibility based on the criteria for that award (up to 1,000 words, ~1.5-2 pages) and includes:
- Describe the initiative(s) or portfolio of work that support the nomination.
- How they meet selection criteria (complexity, impact, and mission-alignment)
- How their success is measured/quantified
- The time during which the work was done.
- A summary (60-word limit, ~2 sentences) of the descriptive narrative, above.
Upcoming deadlines and key dates
- May 1, 2023: Awards applications due at 5:00 p.m.
- June 1, 2023: Winners are notified privately via email, IT Leadership Council Selection Committee names are shared/posted.
- July 18, 2023: Evening awards presentation at UC Tech Conference, where award winners are announced, and certificates issued.
- July 18, 2023: Press release issued, with follow-up news updates in UCNet and UCIT Blog news.