Information Technology Services
UCOP supports a standardized PC environment to control overall purchase and support costs, and thus provides UCOP personnel a standard computing bundle that includes hardware and software. However, departments may request approval for nonstandard equipment, including Macs. If approval is provided, ITS purchases the nonstandard hardware and issues a one-time charge to the department for the difference in price between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard equipment.
- Hardware Support
ITS provides ongoing support only for in-warranty standard and nonstandard hardware.
- Computer Salvaging
ITS provides salvaging services for out-of-warranty systems. The hard drive is removed, wiped, and shredded by an outside vendor. Shredding is done offsite in compliance with HIPAA, FACTA, and other state and federal guidelines. The devices are sent to UCB Overstock & Salvage for disposal.
How to Order:
If nonstandard hardware is necessary for the business function (see Nonstandard Equipment Request Guidelines for determining business need), the department should submit a request as follows:
- Request. Department submits an Other Hardware request form on the IT Service Hub.
- Evaluation. The request is evaluated to determine whether standard equipment will meet business need or whether nonstandard equipment is required.
- If there is a business need for nonstandard equipment, ITS will provide a purchase quote for the equipment. If the department agrees to the cost, ITS purchases the equipment on behalf of the department, which is then charged the difference in cost between the standard
- If there is no business need for nonstandard equipment, ITS communicates the reason to the department and suggests use of standard equipment.
- Additional Review: The department may e-mail ITassets@ucop.edu to request an additional review of the decision. The additional review and final determination will be conducted and communicated jointly by Associate Vice President Reese and Client Services Officer Bittlingmeier.
How to Request Support
Support is available M – F, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Request support through the IT Service Hub or by contacting the IT Service Desk.
All UCOP departments may request approval to purchase nonstandard computing equipment provided they demonstrate a business need.
24/7, except during planned outages
If the nonstandard hardware is approved, the department pays the difference in cost between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard item, in addition to the monthly technology infrastructure fee for equipment replacement.
Related Policy and Guidelines