Information Technology Services
UCOP supports a standardized PC environment to control overall purchase and support costs. UCOP personnel receive a standard computing bundle, including hardware (desktop or laptop) and software, which consists of high-end models that meet most UCOP business needs. The standard computer includes
- Good graphics capabilities
- Large hard drive for data storage
- Maximum memory available for Windows XP (4GB)
- High-end monitor: 21.5" LCD
- CD and DVD burner, and built-in speakers
A list of current standard hardware and software is available on the IT Service Hub.
Departments also may request approval to purchase nonstandard equipment, including Macs. ITS provides ongoing support only for in-warranty standard and nonstandard hardware.
Computer Salvaging. ITS provides salvaging services for out-of-warranty systems. The hard drive is removed, wiped, and shredded by an outside vendor. Shredding is done offsite in compliance with HIPAA, FACTA, and other state and federal guidelines. Other system components are sent to UCB Overstock & Salvage for resale, donation, or salvaging.
How to Order:
Requesting a standard computer bundle. One computer per individual is provided; approved additional devices are charged at cost to the requesting department.
- For new personnel: Departments request a standard computing bundle via the IT Service Hub.
- For current personnel: ITS maintains an inventory of equipment, service records and warranty expiration dates, and contacts customers directly to schedule and prepare for replacement of five-year old computers. ITS at its discretion may replace computers that have been reported as needing service.
Hardware exception requests. If different equipment is needed, follow the Nonstandard Equipment Request Guidelines. If approval is provided, ITS purchases the nonstandard hardware and issues a one-time charge to the department for the difference in price between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard equipment.
Laptops. Specific processes apply to laptops.
- Approval required. Departments must approve the use of a laptop in accordance with systemwide policy, G-46. Guidelines for Purchase and Use of Cellular Phones and Other Portable Electronic Resources (pdf). Per policy, each individual provided a laptop must sign and usage agreement (pdf), which ITS will keep on file.
- Options: Customers choose between two standard laptop options:
- High-performance: Includes solid state drive. Improves boot-up time and overall system performance, but offers less storage.
- Light-weight: Offers more storage but slightly lower performance.
Purchase of accessories. For full price, departments may purchase additional peripherals (e.g. second or larger monitors, keyboards, trackball mouse, etc.). Departments should follow their normal purchase procedures, and they are encouraged to consult the IT Service Desk before purchase to ensure the item can be supported.
How to Request Support
Support is available M – F, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Request support through the IT Service Hub or by contacting the IT Service Desk via the IT Service Hub.
All UCOP personnel may receive the standard computing bundle. All UCOP departments may request approval to purchase nonstandard computing equipment provided they demonstrate a business need.
24/7, except during planned outages
See Technology Infrastructure Fee Rates for information about the monthly departmental fee that covers the standard computing bundle and other basic IT services.
If nonstandard hardware is approved, the department pays the difference in cost between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard item, in addition to the monthly technology infrastructure fee for equipment replacement.