Information Technology Services
Nonstandard Equipment Request Guidelines
UCOP supports a standardized PC environment to control overall support and equipment purchase costs. The standard computer bundle (PC desktop or laptop) is composed of higher-end models that meet most UCOP business needs.
A request for nonstandard computing equipment, which includes Macs, must be accompanied by an explanation of the business need, following the guidelines below. If the nonstandard hardware is approved, the department pays the difference in cost between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard item, in addition to the monthly $40 technology infrastructure fee (TIF) for equipment replacement.
PCBigger hard drive: What aspects of the job require the individual to retain large amounts of data on the computer hard drive?
Better graphics card: What aspects of the job function require the individual to work with 3D high-resolution graphics?
MacWhat aspects of the job require use of a Mac? Job functions that could require a Mac include:
Nonstandard Product Equipment and Purchase Process
- Request. Department submits an e-mail request to the IT Service Desk and provides a business justification for the exception request.
- Evaluation. The request is evaluated to determine whether standard
equipment will meet business need or whether nonstandard equipment is
- If there is a business need for nonstandard equipment, the IT Service Desk purchases the equipment on behalf of the department, which is then charged the difference in cost between the standard computing bundle and the nonstandard item.
- If there is no business need for nonstandard equipment, the IT Service Desk communicates the reason to the department and suggests use of standard equipment.
- Additional Review: The department may e-mail the IT Service Desk to request an additional review of the decision.