Chapter 3-500: Radiation

The use of radiation is the responsibility of the Radiation Safety Unit of the campus's Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Office and Radiation Safety Committee. Campuses with nuclear reactors also have Reactor Supervisors and Reactor Operations Committees responsible for use of their reactors.

In California, the State Health and Safety Code governing use of radiation supersedes federal regulations except when such use involves nuclear reactors, Department of Energy contracts, or the use of radioactive material on federal property. In these cases, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission regulations (10 CFR Chapter 1) govern the licensing and use of radioactive materials and radiation-producing machines (See External Requirements 3-F11). In addition, the Food and Drug Administration issues regulations (21 CFR Chapter 1) which govern radiation emissions from electronic products (See External Requirements 3-F12).

The California Code governing radiation control is set forth in CCR Title 17, Public Health Section 30100. It is based on an agreement with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, subject to the provisions of 10 CFR Part 150. In general, these regulations require the licensing or registration of anyone possessing or using radioactive materials or radiation-producing machines. The California State Department of Public Health, Radiologic Health Branch, licenses each campus for possession and use of radioactive materials and radiation-producing machines (See External Requirements 3-S04).

Use of radiation at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) follows DOE Order 440.1B.

3-510 Responsibilities of EH&S and the Radiation Safety Committee

The campus Radiation Safety Committees establish policies which implement federal and State regulations and statutes pertaining to the use of radioactive materials and ionizing radiation-producing machines. It authorizes the use of ionizing radiation on campus. Each campus with a radioactive materials license must have a Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) who, in addition to advising on regulatory requirements, provides technical support to the Radiation Safety Committee.

EH&S reviews proposals involving radiation and, after approval by the Radiation Safety Committee, issues Radiation Use Authorizations (RUA) to the Principal Investigators. A valid RUA must be in effect prior to ordering radioactive material. Radioactive material shipments are routed through EH&S. EH&S is responsible for the transportation and disposal of radioactive wastes and the training of employees in all aspects of radiation safety. It inspects and monitors radiation uses and electronic product radiation safety to assure compliance with appropriate State and federal codes and regulations.

3-511 Nuclear Reactor Supervision

The campus Reactor Operations Committee and Reactor Supervisor are responsible for establishing policies which implement federal regulations governing the use of a nuclear reactor. They must review and approve proposed experiments which would involve the use of the reactor.

3-520 Role of the Contracts and Grants Office

The cover sheet or approval form which accompanies a proposal from a Principal Investigator to the Contracts and Grants Office asks for the RUA application or RUA number of the Investigator if radiation is involved in the proposed research. If such an authorization has not been obtained or applied for, the Investigator is referred to EH&S. Generally, Principal Investigators apply for or have an RUA before submitting a proposal to their Contracts and Grants Office.