UCOP Human Resources
Performance appraisal process and dates
Each manager and supervisor is required by UC policy and by the applicable labor contract to conduct performance appraisals. Employees hired before January 1, 2019 will be reviewed in this year’s process. Those hired after January 1, 2019 should receive informal feedback on their performance and set goals for the 2019 – 2020. Performance appraisals are required for:
- Probationary employees: A probationary employee shall be assessed at least once during a full probationary period, preferably at the mid-point of probation; and,
- Career employees: A career employee's performance shall be assessed in writing at least once per year.
- Contract employees: A contract employee should receive a written appraisal at least once per year.
UCOP Annual Performance process dates for 2018/2019 (not including UCPress)
- March 11: Halogen e-appraisal tool opens for the 2018-2019 Annual Performance Review Process. All goals created or edited after June 1, 2018 will populate onto the review form.
- March 11 – March 29: Employees complete self-evaluations in Halogen. For departments using multi-rater feedback, the feedback forms can be launched as soon as the employee self-appraisal is completed.
- March 11 – April 26: Managers write employee performance reviews in Halogen. Managers can begin as soon as an employee completes their self-appraisal.
- April 29 – May 10: 1st level review. Managers review individual/team ratings with next-level manager(s).
- May 13 – May 25: 2nd level review. Division leaders review division-wide ratings.
- May 27 – May 29: Halogen closes for merit process data collection.
- May 28 – June 3: 3rd level review. Chief Operating Officer and President’s office reviews division ratings and UCOP distribution.
- June 4 – June 28: Halogen reopens. Managers deliver evaluations to employees. Managers and employees sign off on performance appraisals. All ratings complete in Halogen.
- June 29: All final sign-offs by Employees and Managers completed. Halogen closes to complete the FY18/19 Performance Evaluation Process.
UCPress Annual performance process dates for 2018/2019
- For UCPress-specific timeline, email Karen Arnold.