Information Technology Services
Softphones, Desk Phones, Voicemail, and Headsets
Phones: ITS provides Jabber softphones or desk phones and voicemail for UCOP customers, and moves desk phones to new locations as necessary.
- Jabber Softphones are provided to everyone at UCOP except, on a temporary basis, thin-client users. The Jabber softphone features are listed below.
- A single personal extension is provided.
- Can be used with select USB corded or wireless headsets, handset, and/or USB table top speakerphone.
- In addition to voice, Jabber provides one-to-one videos and screen share between Jabber softphones.
- Desk phones are provided only to individuals who meet one of the following criteria:
- Thin-client users (this is temporary pending Jabber-in-the-cloud availability)
- Senior management group personnel
- Positions with multi-extension coverage responsibilities
- People in offices (not cubes) by themselves
Voicemail: UCOP uses the Unity voicemail system, which also sends audio copies of voicemail messages automatically to the customer’s email Inbox, where they can be opened and played. The system also provides multiple greetings for different situations, for example; the alternate greeting can be programmed to end on a specific date/time. See the Messaging Guidelines for guidance about managing voicemail, audio email copies, and other messages.
Headsets: ITS offers a selection of headsets for purchase for customers to use with either their softphone or desk phone. ITS will assist with headset installations when requested.
- The Plantronics Savi 7XX series headsets can be used with both Jabber and/or the desk phone.
- Other Jabber compatible style choices include USB (only) corded or wireless headsets, handset, or USB table top speakerphone.
How to Order
Use the IT Service Hub to request softphones, desk phones, voicemail or headsets.
- For phones: Use the Office Phone – Move, Add, Change form (found under Work Equipment)
- For headsets: Use the Headset or Webcam form (found under Work Equipment). Managerial approval and recharge information is required to process a headset request.
How to Request Support
Support is available M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Request through the IT Service Hub or by contacting the IT Service Desk at (510) 987-0457.
UCOP employees, contractors, or associated personnel.
24/7 except during planned outages.
The cost of the service is covered by the recurring departmental IT utilities fee. Departments pay separately for headsets.