Sustainability Steering Committee
First formed in 2003 by the UCOP Senior Vice President for Business and Finance, the Sustainability Steering Committee (SSC) engages decision makers from all ten campuses in developing and implementing a successful systemwide sustainability policy.
The SSC meets once a year to review policies and progress towards the goals outlined in the UC Sustainable Practices Policy (pdf).
The SSC is composed of a representative from each campus and health system at the Vice Chancellor, Associate Vice Chancellor, or Chief Operating Officer level, faculty representatives, external experts, the Student Regent, and undergraduate and graduate student representatives. Students are active on the committee and provide valuable input in its direction.
The Sustainability Steering Committee is committed to ensuring that UC’s sustainability policy initiatives and programs are diverse in their staffing, and representative and inclusive of the communities who are engaged in these initiatives and programs. See the full SSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement.
View the current Sustainability Steering Committee Membership Roster.
There are eleven Policy Working Groups that report to the Sustainability Steering Committee:
- Co-Chair: Matthew Deines, UC Irvine, Senior Planner, Office of Environmental Planning and Sustainability
- Co-Chair: Breeana Sylvas, UC Merced, Assistant Director Sustainability, Strategic Planning, Analytics
- Co-Chair: Clinton Bench, UCLA, Director, Fleet and Transit Administration
- Co-Chair: Greg Nishihira, UC San Diego, Associate Director, Fleet Services
- Co-Chair: Walt Kanzler, UC San Diego, Senior Director of Design
- Co-Chair: Mark Maxwell, UC Merced, Assistant Project Manager / LEED Coordinator, Sustainability Office
- Co-Chair: Colin Moynihan, UC San Diego, Sustainability Manager, Housing, Dining, and Hospitality
- Co-Chair: Erin Fabris, UC Los Angeles, Sustainability Manager, Housing & Hospitality Services
- Co-Chair: Carrie Metzgar, UC Irvine, Sustainability & Planning Analyst
- Co-Chair: Rowena Eng, UC San Francisco, Sustainability Coordinator
- Co-Chair: Russell Chung, UC Berkeley, Director of Procurement, Procurement Services
- Co-Chair: Heather Perry, UC Santa Barbara, Sustainable Procurement Analyst, Purchasing
- Co-Chair: David Sorrell, UC Berkeley, Transportation Demand Management Administrator & Campus Mobility Manager
- Co-Chair: Erika (Hennon) Rule, UC Irvine, Acting Sustainable Programs Manager, Transportation and Distribution Services
Sustainable Water Systems
- Chair: Nurit Katz, UCLA, Chief Sustainability Officer, Facilities Management
UC Health Sustainability
- Co-Chair: Anna Levitt, UC San Francisco Health, Energy Manager
- Co-Chair: Colleen McCormick, UC Davis Health, Director of Sustainability
- Co-Chair: Kikei Wong, UCLA, Zero Waste Coordinator
- Co-Chair: Jeffery Summerhays, Sustainability Manager, Zero Waste
Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating Systems (STARS)
- Chair: Camille Kirk, UC Davis, Director of Sustainability and Campus Sustainability Planner
Working Groups coordinate the implementation of their respective policy areas by sharing best practices and drafting policy and procedural recommendations to further sustainability goals, capturing benefits from economies of scales and scopes, and providing the Steering Committee with updates on implementation progress and challenges. Working Groups report progress and policy proposals annually to the SSC.
Working Group members are appointed by each campus. Chairs are selected by the Working Group and typically serve a two year term. All UC campuses are represented on each of the working groups.
Working Groups meet several times each year by conference call. Working Group Chairs attend Sustainability Steering Committee meetings to present on any policy updates or new proposals.