UCOP Human Resources
Performance Appraisal Learning Resources
STAFF TALENT EVALUATION PROCESS (STEP)
All UCOP employees and people managers will participate in STEP training. Our blended learning approach pairs self paced e-courses with live virtual classes in order to reduce overall training time, enhance learning and allow for technical support, questions and practice within the live learning sessions. A detailed overview of the process is outlined in the chart below.
Self-paced e-courses for each phase of the process are available to review . These courses will be assigned to you if applicable and can be found under Required Training on your UC Learning Center home page.
Optional resources can be accessed and are available as needed.
If you are not familiar with all the features of Zoom, it is recommended that you attend a zoom fundamentals class or review these short Zoom tips on LIL prior taking they live virtual training(s). - Options during a meeting (5 mins) and Checking your audio and video settings (3 mins).
New for 2021-22: GROW- Coaching Framework to Enhance Conversations
As we implement STEP, we continue to learn and become more proficient in this new performance appraisal process. This is year 2 of our training plan. We will focus on enhancing the quality of and comfort with check in conversations between managers and employees by introducing the GROW coaching framework. GROW provides a structure for using a coaching stance during feedback conversations. The framework breaks down the conversation into 4 parts: Goal, Reality, Options, & Will:
1. Determine Goal
2. Discuss Current Reality
3. Discuss Options
4. Determine the Will.
(Grow Resource Guide)
Three Year Training and Support for STEP
|Year 1 (20/21) Objective
|Year 2 (21/22) Objective
|Year 3 onwards (2022-) Objective
|Employees||Complete the new appraisal process in the ePerformance platform.||Enhance quality and comfort of conversations with manager.||Initiate and fully participate in dialog, feedback, and coaching with the manager.|
|Managers & Supervisors||Complete the process and begin to apply coaching and feedback strategies.||Support employees while applying coaching and feedback strategies.||Provide ongoing coaching and feedback throughout the year to enhance performance.
Required and Optional Training
Since we’re introducing a new coaching framework, there will be one required course in 2021-22 for all employees and one additional course for managers and supervisors (open in the fall). Note: New employees are required to take the Year 1 STEP courses as well.
We also offer a variety of optional trainings and support. For your information, the courses are listed below.
All times are estimated.
E = eCourse; LV = Live Virtual.
If a course is required, employees will be automatically enrolled and receive a notification email from the UC Learning Center.
Required Training – All Employees
- GROWing your Check ins for all Employees (Managers and Staff)- (E, 20 min)
Required Training – New Employees (as of January 2021)
- Year 1 modules for New Employees and Managers (E, 2 - 3 hrs. throughout the year)
Required Training – All Managers and Supervisors
- GROWing your Check ins for Managers (LV, 2 hrs.) – available in the Winter
Optional Training and Support – All Employees
- For support, please contact STEP@ucop.edu or your Human Resources Business Partner
- Note: Office Hours are on hiatus and will begin again in March, 2022.
- GROW Coaching/ Feedback Practice (LV, 1 hr.)
- UC Core Competencies (pdf)
- Consolidated Year 1 STEP Modules – Self-driven elearning resource where employees select specific modules by interest or need as a refresher on important concepts (E)
- LinkedIn Learning Collections (E, 4 min - 2 hrs.)
- ePerformance Demos (E, 1 - 3 min)
- (Demo) Define Criteria – Employees
- (Demo) UCOP STEP Check In – Employees
- (Demo) Define Criteria – Managers
- (Demo) UCOP STEP Check In – Managers
- Grow Resource Guide (doc)