UCOP Human Resources
Take Charge: Developing a Career Strategy
UCOP program for administrative, support, and entry-level staff
Take Charge: Developing a Career Strategy is a five-month program designed specifically for administrative, support, and entry-level staff. The intent of the program is to provide the participants with tools to better manage and direct their careers. The program consists of six two-hour in-person sessions, weekly self-guided assignments, and five peer mentoring sessions. It is sponsored by UCOP HR Learning & Development.
To learn more, attend an informational Lunch and Learn:
Program Schedule for 2020
Applications complete for 2020.
- January 30, 2020, 2-3 pm, Training for Managers
- February 4, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Singing Your Praises: Self Advocacy
- February 18, 2020, 11 am-12 pm Peer Mentoring
- March 10, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Managing Up
- March 24, 2020, 11 am-12 pm, Peer Mentoring
- April 14, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Don’t Ask - Don’t Get –Negotiation Skills
- April 28, 2020, 11 am-12 pm, Peer Mentoring
- May 5, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Career Planning & Networking
- May 19, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Career Management – Resume Writing
- June 3, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Career Management - Interviewing Skills
- June 10, 2020, 11 am-12 pm, Peer Mentoring
- June 16, 2020, 10 am-12 pm, Peer Mentoring & Completion Celebration
Who can participate?
All administrative, support, and entry-level staff are encouraged to apply for participation in the program. Individuals will need the support of their supervisors as a part of the application process. Up to 20 individuals will be selected to participate.
What is the process?
Potential participants will complete an application that must include the support and signature approval from their supervisor. A selection committee will review the applicants and select the participants.
Criteria for selection include:
- Career, contract, represented employees who have completed the probationary period;
- A “successfully meets expectations” performance rating or above;
- An expressed desire to learn new skills to plan and manage one's career; and
- A commitment to attending all scheduled sessions and completing all homework assignments
What information will be given to supervisors?
Supervisors of participants will attend an overview of the program on December 13, 2019 that will provide more details and tips to support their employee during and after the program. Please note: Discussions between participants and program consultants will be kept confidential.