UCOP Human Resources
The UCOP People Management Integrated Learning Program (PM-ILP) is designed to complement the online System-wide People Management Series & Certificate. In the PM-ILP, participants will complete the online courses individually and meet monthly in-person as a cohort to apply the skills we’ve learned to maximum effect. At these sessions participants will experience guest speakers, opportunities to share and learn best practices, and additional tools or resources that can be used on-the-job. The program’s cohort model allows for participants to build their network across UCOP and learn from their fellow participants. By the end of the series, each participant will share how they’ve been able to use the knowledge, skills, and abilities they’ve learned in order to become more impactful.
Information sessions will be available in October 2022 for the 2023 cohort. This program will allow you the chance to:
- Talk with other colleagues about management and leadership-related topics
- Gain insight into current challenges and successes
- Get feedback on ideas and approaches to management and leadership
- Share and discuss how to utilize performance management to improve practice
This series is ideal for:
- Any people managers who would like to learn essential skills that will help them be more effective in leading their teams
- Any individual contributor who anticipates moving into a people manager role, and wants to acquire critical skills in advance to set themselves up for future success.
- Attend all sessions
- Complete intersession assignments (People Management Series elearnings)
- Be open to sharing and learning from each other
What people are saying:
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed that the program facilitation was effective
- 93% agreed or strongly agreed that PM-ILP helped prepare them for a future leadership role, or to grow in their current leadership role
- “Even though I've been with UC for more than 20 years some of this was brand new information - which is excellent!”
- “The Program is comprehensive and detailed, and covers all aspects of people management and leadership coaching.”
- “Felt more like going to a graduate school with like-minded, curious, appreciative and thoughtful colleagues.”
- Discuss this opportunity with your supervisor
- If this program is right for you at this time, fill out the Application Form to apply for the program
- The 2023 cohort application process is open and due by December 2, 2022.
- Applicants will be notified of their status on December 5, 2022.
- The cohort will be between 20-25 people. We will accept as many participants as possible on a first-come, first-served basis. If needed, we will prioritize based on years of service for UC, diversity of role, department, race, ethnicity, gender, and current underrepresented groups in management. PM ILP is open to all, but preference will be given to managers.
COURSE DESCRIPTION(S) – Please note, the following descriptions may change.
|Session #||Session Title||Session description||People Management online courses to complete prior to session|
|1||Kickoff to People Management Integrated Learning Program (PM-ILP)||What is it? How does will it benefit me? What do I hope to get out of my time spent in this learning activity? How can I apply what I have learned? What am I committing to doing?||(1) UC Performance Management Overview Est time: 30 minutes|
|2||Giving and Receiving Feedback||What are my unique feedback triggers? What can I do to manage those triggers in order to hear useful feedback? What are the best practices in giving feedback?||(4) UC Setting Expectations & Individual Performance Goals (5) UC Giving & Receiving Feedback (6) UC Conducting Performance Appraisals Est time: 2-2.5 hours|
|3||Coaching||How do you use the GROW model to coach others? What is a coaching stance, and what are the benefits?||(2) UC Coaching for Performance & Development (3) UC Managing Corrective Action Est time: 70-90 minutes|
|4||Managing Implicit Bias Series||What are our unique biases and how can we be more mindful when it comes to making decisions that may be influenced by our Implicit Biases? How do we consciously de-bias our thinking?||(7-12) 5 modules on Implicit Bias Est time: 2.5-3 hours|
|5||Hiring & Onboarding||How does bias show up in the hiring process, and how can we mitigate it? How do we successfully add new members to our teams? How do we ensure that we remain legally compliant in the hiring process? How do we ensure that our new team members get off to a great start?||Mitigating Bias in the Hiring Process, (13) UC Hiring for Success (14) UC Strategic Onboarding Est time: 60-75 minutes|
|6||Team Health & Engagement||What factors contribute to engagement? What are ways to increase engagement? How do you recognize and reward team members?||(15) UC Engaging & Developing Employees (16) UC Motivating, Recognizing and Rewarding Employees Est time: 70-90 minutes|
|7||Effective Communications||When conflict arises, what is your role? How can we slow down our thinking during conflict to better communicate?||Communication Training TBD|
|8||Wrap-up / Final Projects||Everybody will give a brief presentation on how they were able to leverage the skills during the Cohort sessions.|
Contact the Learning and Development Team for questions and assistance.