UCOP Human Resources
The UCOP People Management Integrated Learning Program is designed to complement the online System-wide People Management Series & Certificate. In the PM-ILP, participants will complete the online courses individually and meet monthly in-person as a cohort to apply the skills we’ve learned to maximum effect. At these sessions, we will have guest speakers, opportunities to share and learn best practices, and additional resources. By the end of the series, each participant will demonstrate how they’ve been able to use the knowledge, skills, and abilities they’ve learned in order to become more impactful. Participants who complete the People Management eLearning Series & Integrated Learning Program will be eligible to attend the People Management Conference in 2021.
Information sessions are now available and open to registration in the UC Learning Center
This program will allow you the chance to
- Talk with other colleagues about management-related topics
- gain insight into current challenges and successes
- Get feedback on ideas and approaches to management
- Share and discuss how to utilize performance management to improve practice
This series is ideal for
- Any people managers who would like to learn essential skills that will help them be more effective in leading their teams
- Any individual contributor who anticipates moving into a people manager role in the next two years and who wants to acquire critical skills in advance to set themselves up for future success
Program Participation Expectations
- Attend all sessions Complete intersession assignments (People Management Series elearnings)
- Be open to sharing and learning from each other
- Discuss this opportunity with your supervisor
- If this program is right for you at this time, fill out the Application Form to apply for the program
- 2020-2021 Application Link
- Applicants will be notified of their status by September 2020.
- The cohort will be between 20-25 people. We will accept as many participants as possible on a first-come, first-served basis. If needed, we will prioritize based on years of service for UC, diversity of role, department, race, ethnicity, gender, and current underrepresented groups in management.
COURSE DESCRIPTION(S) – Please note, the following descriptions may change.
The cohort will meet once a month for 2 hours from October 2020 through May 2021. Final dates, times, and location will be available in September 2020.
|Session #||Session Title||Session description||People Management online courses to complete prior to session|
|1||Kickoff to People Management Integrated Learning Program (PM-ILP)||What is it? How does will it benefit me? What do I hope to get out of my time spent in this learning activity? How can I apply what I have learned? What am I committing to doing?||(1) UC Performance Management Overview Est time: 30 minutes|
|2||Performance Management Cycle||What are my unique feedback triggers? What can I do to manage those triggers in order to hear useful feedback? What are the best practices in giving feedback?||(4) UC Setting Expectations & Individual Performance Goals (5) UC Giving & Receiving Feedback (6) UC Conducting Performance Appraisals Est time: 2-2.5 hours|
|3||Coaching & Corrective Action||How do you effectively coach team members? What are the benefits – for you? …for your team members? …for your team? …for the organization?||(2) UC Coaching for Performance & Development (3) UC Managing Corrective Action Est time: 70-90 minutes|
|4||Managing Implicit Bias Series||What are our unique biases and how can we be more mindful when it comes to making decisions that may be influenced by our Implicit Biases? How do we consciously de-bias our thinking?||(7-12) 6 modules on Implicit Bias Est time: 2.5-3 hours|
|5||Hiring & Onboarding||How do we successfully add new members to our teams? How do we ensure that we remain legally compliant in the hiring process? How do we ensure that our new team members get off to a great start and one that strengthens their commitment to the team and organization?||(13) UC Hiring for Success (14) UC Strategic Onboarding Est time: 45-60 minutes|
|6||Team Health & Engagement||How do you increase the engagement of your team? How do you successfully recognize and reward team members? What are the hygiene factors that are necessary for employee engagement?||(15) UC Engaging & Developing Employees (16) UC Motivating, Recognizing and Rewarding Employees Est time: 70-90 minutes|
|7||Effective Communications||When conflict arises, what is your role? How can you successfully address it in order to strengthen team unity and enhance team performance?||Communication Training – Online or InPerson Est time: 120 minutes|
|8||Wrap-up / Final Projects||Everybody will give a 5 minute presentation on how they were able to leverage the skills during the Cohort sessions to more effectively lead their teams.|
Contact the Learning and Development Team for questions and assistance.