UCOP Human Resources
Staff Appreciation and Recognition plan
Consistent with practices throughout higher education institutions and other public and private sector organizations, UC for years has used recognition programs to encourage and reward superior employee performance.
The STAR program allows managers to give one-time cash awards to staff below the executive level in recognition of exemplary performance and contributions which further operational and administrative improvements within the university.
These guidelines serve as a framework for implementation of cash recognition awards for employees under the Staff Appreciation and Recognition Plan (the “STAR Plan”).
Policy-covered career PSS employees and MSP employees as well as exclusively represented employees in the Clerical Unit (CX) are eligible for STAR Plan cash awards if, at the time of the award, they:
- Have successfully completed their probationary period, if applicable;
- Are on active pay status or on an approved unpaid leave; and,
- Received a “Successfully Meets Expectations” or better overall rating on their most recent annual performance evaluation. (PPSM 23 requires that written performance evaluations be completed annually.) New employees who have not yet received an annual performance evaluation may be eligible for an award if their manager confirms on the nomination form that they are “successfully meeting expectations” and attaches a written review of performance.
- Completed work on a specific project or event that is above and beyond the normal scope of an employee’s regular job scope.
In addition, policy-covered employees and represented employees in the Clerical Unit (CX) with the following types of appointments are also eligible to participate in STAR at this location, provided that they meet the above requirements: contract, per diem, limited, floater, and/or casual restricted.
Members of the Senior Management Group (SMG) are not eligible for recognition awards under the Plan.
All other exclusively represented employees are not eligible for recognition awards under the STAR Plan.
An employee may not receive an award under the STAR Plan if the employee is a participant in an incentive award plan that prohibits the receipt of a recognition award.
An employee’s receipt of an award under the STAR Plan does not establish any right or guarantee that the employee will be eligible for or entitled to an award in any subsequent Plan year.
Award Limits and Restrictions
The following limitations apply to STAR Plan cash awards.
- STAR Plan cash awards are limited to a maximum of $500.
- STAR Awards are limited to one per person or team per fiscal year.
- STAR Plan cash awards are strictly discretionary and may not be promised or guaranteed in advance.
- “Across-the-board” type awards (e.g., awards to a category of employees without regard to a recipient’s performance or relative contribution) are not allowed under the STAR Plan. Awards must be based on the recipient’s achievement as an individual or as part of a team. Awards must outline the team’s achievement and overall contribution to UCOP.
- STAR awards are intended to recognize work on a specific project or event that is above and beyond the normal scope of an employee’s regular job scope.
Exceptions to the above monetary award limits will not be made.
All STAR Award nominations must be submitted using HR ServiceNow, the online intake and workflow system. The old method of emailing the nomination form (doc) to StarAwardSubmissions@UCOP.edu will be completely phased out after May 31, 2019.
Individual Award Nominations
Individual employees may be nominated for STAR awards based on a high level of performance for work on a project or event that is above and beyond the employee’s regular job scope. Input will be required from the employee’s manager/supervisor if someone other than the employee’s manager/supervisor is nominating the employee.
Team Award Nominations
Team Awards may be granted to teams of employees for a high level of performance for work on a project or event that is above and beyond the employee’s regular job scope. Team members must meet one or more of the performance standards set forth above for work on a project within the same department or for work on the development and/or implementation of inter-departmental projects that is above and beyond the employees’ regular job scope. Input will be required from the team leader and each employee’s supervisor/manager if someone other than the manager/supervisor is nominating the team.
The employee’s supervisor is responsible for confirming that the employee is eligible for an award and must approve the employee’s award, regardless of the funding source for the award.
Award Review and Approval Authority
All STAR Plan cash award nominations require endorsement of the employee’s immediate supervisor and approval of the department head of the department that is funding the award. In all cases, approval must include an individual with authority to approve the budget expenditure.
STAR Plan cash awards require the approval of the Division Head.
The Executive Director, UCOP Human Resources and Executive Director, UCOP Operations will review and approve all STAR awards to ensure compliance with the STAR Plan guidelines.
Timing and Processing of STAR Award Payments
STAR awards may be presented at any time during the Plan year and should be awarded as soon as possible after the accomplishment or event in order to provide immediate recognition to employees.
The assigned Description of Service (DOS) code XSL specific to the STAR Plan must be used when paying awards to employees.
All STAR Plan cash awards for the Plan year should be processed in accordance with year-end closing schedules.
Funding Requirements and Restrictions
STAR Awards are to be accommodated within existing division and department budgets. UCOP is not establishing a central source of funding. Unrestricted fund sources (mainly general and common funds) may be used for STAR Awards. The use of restricted funds is subject to any restrictions on those funds.
Recordkeeping and Compliance
STAR Award Nomination Forms must be submitted to UCOP Human Resources for review and processing. UCOP HR is responsible for maintaining copies of Nomination Forms and tracking and reporting on all approved STAR Awards.
Plan Contact for Questions
Questions regarding the STAR Plan should be directed to Nancy Pluzdrak, Executive Director, UCOP Human Resources at (510) 987-0840 or firstname.lastname@example.org