UCOP Human Resources
Temporary Office of the President Staffing (TOPS)
The University of California Office of the President operates an in-house temporary program called TOPS (Temporary Office of the President Staffing), which seeks skilled analysts, administrative assistants, and customer service specialists.
TOPS employees provide temporary assistance to UCOP departments to complete special projects or fill in for employees who are on vacation or leave. Hourly rates and duties vary dependent upon classification of positions. Assignments range in length from one day to several months. It is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable UC experience.
- Provide temporary assistance to UCOP departments to complete special projects or substitute for career employees while on vacation, sick leave or during recruitment for a vacancy. Onboarding and reference checks are conducted once a candidate has been identified.
- Assignments span all non-exempt administrative/clerical, financial/accounting, customer service and entry level professional levels. The TOPS Recruiter will also work with hiring managers to recruit for more specialized positions, which often requires additional sourcing.
- Applicants should have a minimum of one to two years of administrative experience with excellent computer skills (may include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or Access), excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and flexibility and reliability in job assignments.
- The TOPS Recruiter initiates reference checks through SkillSurvey and arranges software tests on MS Word and Excel. Background checks are conducted for all positions.
- TOPS employees are paid bi-weekly and pay rates are based on the classification of the position. For further guidance, please speak to the TOPS Recruiter.
- Classifications assigned for TOPS placements are covered under the Teamsters Local 2010 union contract for clerical or customer service positions and the Personnel Policies for Staff Members for professional level positions.
- TOPS positions are floater appointments since, by definition, the individuals are employed in a temporary employment pool.
- For positions covered under the Teamsters Local 2010 contract . TOPS floater appointees may work up to a maximum of 36 months, but not more than 1500 hours in the same assignment, in the same department, doing the same work in a 36-month period.
- For positions covered under the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM), a floater appointment may be established at any percent of full time for up to two years duration. Floater Appointment Policy Information.
- TOPS employees may be eligible to receive benefits such as vacation and sick leave, Core (Catastrophic Illness) or Mid-level Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Accidental life and dismemberment Insurance, and Holiday Pay. Eligibility varies based on the length of the TOPS assignment as well as the number of hours worked per week. Benefits are paid for by the hiring department.
- 0-3 month assignments: Core Coverage, sick leave accrual, and holiday pay
- 3-6 month assignments: Mid-level benefits, sick leave accrual, and holiday pay
- 6 month + assignments: Mid-level benefits, sick leave and vacation accrual, and holiday pay
1. Seek Budget Approval
TOPS employees can work in an assignment for up to 30 days without Position Control approval, but any extension beyond that will require approval. Contact your HR Business Partner for more information on the Position Control process
2. Complete your TOPS request by contacting the TOPS Recruiter
The TOPS Recruiter will send you a TOPS intake questionnaire and work with you to identify an appropriate candidate. The TOPS Recruiter will also coordinate onboarding, payroll and badge appointments as well as serve as a backup timesheet approver.
The TOPS Recruiter will need to know the following information to get started:
- Desired start date and expected end date
- Reason for TOPS request
- Classification (job title)
- Existing employee’s title code (if TOPS assignment will replace a current employee)
- Pay rate
- Brief job description and required skills
- Department name
- Supervisor/timecard approver name and contact information
- Location (address, building, cube number, etc.)
- Work schedule/hours (subject to change depending on business need)
- COA - Chart of Accounts
- Name of your HR Business Partner
- Status of Position Control approval
- Name of TOPS employee (if you are requesting or sending us a candidate)
*Please note a TOPS employee cannot begin an assignment until references have been checked and successful completion of a background check is met. Once an offer is accepted, the TOPS Recruiter will send the hiring department an on-boarding needs form, which must be completed and returned before the TOPS employee can begin their assignment.
3. Extend the assignment
It is important that the TOPS Recruiter be notified of any desired extension beyond the original end date so that we do not separate the TOPS employee in error. Please contact the TOPS Recruiter as soon as possible to allow time for an extension to occur. All extensions are subject to Position Control approval.
4. End the assignment
When the assignment is ending or you no longer need the services of your TOPS employees, contact the TOPS Recruiter. The TOPS Recruiter will send you a performance evaluation form for you to provide TOPS with feedback on the temporary employee's general work performance and attendance. This will assist TOPS in placing the employee in a future assignment if their performance and attendance is satisfactory.