Mortgage Assistance

The information provided here is for borrowers who are experiencing financial hardship that is making it difficult to afford their mortgage payments, property tax payments, or other expenses associated with homeownership. Please complete the Mortgage Assistance and submit it to the Office of Loan Programs.

Forms for submission

  • Mortgage Assistance (pdf) - by signing page 2 of the Mortgage Assistance Application, you are authorizing the University to order a credit report. You will be charged a $15 fee for the credit report that must be submitted with the Mortgage Assistance (payable to UC Regents).

For some assistance options, the Office of Loan Programs will require a Broker's Price Opinion of Value or a full appraisal of your property by a University-approved appraiser. If an appraisal is required, you will be responsible for paying the appraisal fee.

Upon receipt of the requested documentation, the Office of Loan Programs will review your situation.

Potential assistance options

  • It may be possible to extend the repayment term of your loan in order to reduce your monthly payments. The following limitations apply:
    • The remaining term of your loan must be less than 30 years.
    • The total term of your loan after the extension must be less than 30 years.
  • Under some circumstances, the University may be able to defer up to 3 monthly payments, with repayment over the following 6 months. The following limitations apply:
    • This option is only available to borrowers who have short-term financial difficulty that will be resolved within a few months.
    • Once the repayment period begins, you will be paying your regular monthly payment, plus ½ of a deferred monthly payment. Prior to approval of this option, you will need to demonstrate the ability to make these increased payments after the deferred period.

Eligibility requirements/criteria

  • If your loan has been sold to an investor, the investor must approve any requested exceptions or modifications.
  • The Office of Loan Programs may require a Broker’s Price Opinion by a licensed real estate agent and/or an appraisal completed by a University Approved Appraiser in order to evaluate requests for exceptions to policy.

For additional assistance, you can also contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) toll free at 1-800-569-4287 to find a HUD-certified housing counseling agency.