Acceptable residency verification

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) was passed by Congress in 1996 to restrict government aid, including home loans, to persons qualified under the Act to legally reside in this country. The eligibility guidelines for University Home Loan Programs (Mortgage Origination Program and Supplemental Home Loan Program) are patterned to comply with this Act. Our loan application form asks two questions to help answer the question of residency status:

  • Are you a U.S. citizen?
  • Are you a permanent resident alien? 

If the applicants answer “yes” to either of the above questions, then they are eligible for participation in the University Home Loan Programs. If they answer “no” to both questions or do not have registration numbers, we will ask for documentation concerning their legal residency status. 

What is acceptable residency status?

  • US citizenship
  • Permanent resident aliens (green card) 
  • Non-permanent Resident Aliens, which may include non-immigrant visas, asylum individuals or refugees 

What is acceptable documentation to evidence residency status?

  • US citizens do not need to provide documentation.
  • Permanent resident aliens must show their Permanent Resident Card (green card).
  • Non-permanent resident aliens must provide a copy of their non-immigrant visa (must be issued by current employer in California).
 The University Office of General Counsel must review any other residency classifications for final determination of eligibility.