Systemwide Human Resources
UC-CORO Systemwide Leadership Collaborative
CORO Northern California has been assisting the University of California since 2006 to develop current and future administrative and faculty leaders. CORO has assisted with training over 450 faculty, administrators, staff and senior executives at UC. This leadership program focuses on the benefits of inter-campus and cross functional involvement.
- To enhance leadership skills and foster relationships, networking, and collaboration across UC.
- Enhanced leadership abilities through exposure to and practice with a broad array of leadership tools and concepts that emphasize self and group awareness, interpersonal communication and learning how to utilize UC's system and resources
- Deepened connection to peers and colleagues and a network of leaders across UC
- Increased know how, to initiate positive change and innovation across all levels of UC
- Improved relationships between people in the cohort that will yield collaborative partnerships across the system
- Participate in one of two cohort groups: Northern California or Southern California
- Twelve full-day interactive class sessions held at various UC locations, and will include Campus Field Explorations sessions
- Two day Systemwide People Management conference
- Logic Study: Creating a culture of collaboration
- Examine the complexities of an organizational or department
- Create understanding of the leadership styles in/or the group
- Establish the group as a framework of learning for participants
- Home Teams: Small work groups throughout the program
- Practicum: Participants identify a small group within their organization to use as laboratory in which to explore CORO tools
- Group Project: Develop recommendations for a UC location sponsored leadership initiative
- Final Group Presentations: Recommendations to Chancellors and other senior leaders in UC
Participants and Expectations
- 45-50 senior staff and faculty/academic personnel administrators from UC Locations will participate in either a Northern Cohort or Southern Cohort.
- The program is rigorous and requires a firm commitment of approximately 100 hours of seminars and intersession assignments.
- The group project is an additional time commitment of approximately 40 hours.
- The program develops leadership skills and awareness focusing on inter-UC location and cross-functional involvement. Active participation and collaboration are integral to the learning process and experience. Program participants must attend all sessions and actively participate in all sessions. Doing non-program work during sessions, absences, tardiness, violating cohort confidentiality, or other performance or behavior that is deemed detrimental to UC/CORO will result in dismissal from program.
Program Cohorts and Session Locations
Northern California Cohort Session Locations
ANR, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, LBNL, UC Merced, UCOP, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Cruz
Southern California Cohort Session Locations
ANR, UC Irvine, UC Los Angeles, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Riverside
Participants may choose to participate in the cohort that will hold sessions closest to their own location to minimize travel costs (check the 2018 Leadership Collaborative Program Schedule to view session locations). If their location approves their attending the other cohort and will cover the additional travel related costs, the participant may submit a preference for the other cohort. Location preference is requested from the participant in a separate process after the nomination process has completed.
2018 Leadership Collaborative Program
Program Schedule and Nomination Timeline
- 2018 Nomination and Selection Process: October – November 2017
- Program Dates: January 2018 to November 2018, Graduation in December 2018
2018 Leadership Collaborative Program Schedule
- Nomination Submissions Due: November 3, 2017
- 2018 Leadership Collaborative Nomination Instructions and Online Form
- Multiple nominations per location are encouraged
- Late or incomplete nominations will not be considered
Participant Nomination Requirements
- Be a direct report to the Chancellor, member of the Chancellor’s cabinet, Medical Center CEO, Medical Center Cabinet Member, Vice Provost or Dean of an Academic School or Division
- Be Director level and above
- Be in current position for at least one year
- Demonstrate desire to make an active contribution to UC
- Show evidence of leadership experience or potential, and meaningful involvement in their workplace or community
- Possess strong personal initiative and motivation
- Have the ability to work collaboratively and well within a diverse group
- Be in good standing in work performance (not on any corrective action plan)
- Have the commitment and support by nominating sponsor that nominee will complete pre-work and pre-program survey before first day of program, additional intersession and project work; and attend all 12 sessions, 2 day Systemwide People Management Conference, and graduation.
- $5000 per participant
- Covers all program materials and facilitation fees
- The participant's UC location is responsible for covering all travel related costs.
- Participants manage their own travel arrangements and submit travel reimbursements to their location/department using the established location Travel & Entertainment procedures.