Decide whether to transcribe or caption
Some situations require only transcripts. Others require captions. Note that to make captions you must first have a transcript.
- Provide transcripts for audio-only recordings.
- The text transcript must be posted along with the audio recording for hearing impaired individuals. (Posting a transcript also ensures your website is keyword searchable and will be indexed by search engines, which improves functionality for all.)
- Provide captions for video.
- ensures that deaf or hearing impaired individuals can use the video,
- supports different learning styles, especially for people who prefer to read instead of listen, and
- is useful when it's not possible or convenient to play the sound.
There are two types of captions:
- Closed captions: This is the technique to use because the viewer can turn off the captioning.
- Open captions: Captions appear without the option to remove them.