What is it?
Position control is a process of executive review for all staff, temporary and contract positions at UC Office of the President. This process applies to all UCOP departments and divisions, including the Officer of the Regents and OP employees in the Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
When is it required?
The position control process must be completed when requesting:
- TOPS appointments longer than 30 days in duration
- Recruitment for a new or repurposed position
- Recruitment for a position that has been vacant and the position description has not been updated in the last 3 years
- Contract-to-career conversion waivers
- Extensions of contracts
What are the steps I need to follow?
Effective March 16, 2020, position control requests are submitted through ServiceNow.
- Hiring manager creates a job description in Job Builder
- Conducts a redundancy review to ensure that the work of the position does not overlap with the work of the OP Operations Units, (does not apply to contract extensions or TOPS).
- Obtains initial internal Departmental approvals as set by your department
- Submits the request in ServiceNow
Requests in ServiceNow will be routed according to the following workflow:
- HR Business Partner
- UCOP Compensation review (if needed)
- Department Head for approval
- Division Head for approval
- UCOP Budget Coordinator for approval
- Executive Director of UCOP HR for approval
- Building and Administrative Service Center (BASC) will receive notification only