Small Business First Program
Taking Care of Small Business First
The University of California is 'taking care of business' with small, local and disadvantaged businesses by putting them first in our procurement process.
Faster, Easier, Empowering...
Small Business First increases contracting and procurement opportunities for certified Small Businesses (SB) and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBE) by using a streamlined quotation process. The direct quotation-to-award approach makes the procurement process faster and easier.
Small Business First calls for all non-construction UC contracts and procurements between $10,000 and $250,000* to be awarded to a SB or DVBE, wherever applicable. (*See exempted categories below)
To make an award, only one quote is required for purchases below $100,000, and only two quotes are required for procurements between $100,000 – $250,000.(Program and process details may vary slightly among campuses.)
How to participate in the Small Business First program:
- Get certified as an SB/DVBE by the State of California – it's easy and free!
- Familiarize yourself with UC's Terms & Conditions (pdf) to prepare
- Check out UC's SB Vendor/Contractor Insurance option
- Subscribe to get more information about the SB First program
- Visit UC's Supplier Diversity webpage to access more small business resources
- Build relationships with UC Campus Small Business Officers/Supplier Diversity Coordinators (pdf)
Learn more about doing business with UC:
|Register to Attend:
UC Design & Construction Outreach Webinars for SBE/DVBEs
|Click image to access materials from UC Davis Small Business Expo: general session, breakout sessions, etc.||
|Webinar Recording||Webinar Slide Deck||Date|
|How to Do Business with UC (pdf)||3.30.21|
(Click image to watch webinar recording; click pdf link to see slide deck)
Other ways to raise your profile with UC:
- Register/create a Supplier Profile in CalUsource – UC's eSourcing and public bid platform to participate in bid events across the UC system.
- Register/create a supplier profile in SupplierOne – UC’s supplier search platform. This tool will identify you as a small/DVBE/diverse business when UC buyers are searching for suppliers.
- Visit local UC campus procurement websites and build relationships with UC campus procurement teams and department buyers. (Most small business opportunities are at the campus level.)
State of California Resources to tap into:
- Participate in ongoing small/diverse business events sponsored by the State of California Procurement Dept
- Reciprocity Partners listing: Cities, counties, agencies, or special districts that honor the state of California’s SB/DVBE certification as acceptance into their individual business enterprise programs.
- SB/DVBE Advocates listing: Advocates help SB/DVBEs pursue contract opportunities by working closely with buyers in their department to include SB/DVBEs in state procurement.
Read more about UC's Small Business First program: UC Targets Purchasing Power with Small Business First Program.
Working together, we can help each other thrive.
*Exempted purchase/contract categories:
- Purchases that are sole source, unique professional services, or emergency in nature
- Purchases through existing strategically-sourced agreements
- Federally funded purchases
- Design and construction (governed by UC Facilities Manual and associated policies)
- Interagency agreements
- Federal/local government agreements
- Research sub-awards
- Higher education institution agreements
- Revenue/reimbursement contracts
- Medical and patient care contracts
- Statutorily-exempt, policy-exempt, emergency, proprietary, and/or local assistance/subvention procurements