Office of the Ombuds
The Ombuds Office provides confidential, impartial, and informal conflict resolution and problem-solving services for all members of the UCOP community and its affiliates. We invite staff, faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and students with any UCOP-related issues and concerns to make an appointment (i.e. UCOP System-wide Programs, Campus-UCOP collaborations, etc.).
The Ombuds Office is a safe place to voice and clarify concerns, understand conflict situations, and find effective ways to respond. Download our Infographic flyer (pdf). You can also checkout Q&A with Ombudsperson Callale Concon.
What is an Ombuds? Who are Ombuds - YouTube
- A person who helps YOU resolve conflicts/concerns
- Assists in exploring and determining options
- Brings systemic concerns to the organization's attention for resolution
- Trusted Navigators leading the way to just, engaged, and inclusive organizations
How can we help?
- We listen & understand issues from your perspective
- We reframe issues & help you evaluate options
- We coach you to deal directly with other parties
- We refer you to appropriate resolution channels
- We facilitate/mediate informal resolution processes
- We identify new issues/opportunities for systemic change
Ombuds does not:
- Create or Maintain Records/Reports For The Organizations
- Receive Notice For The Organization
- Serve In Roles That Compromise Impartiality
- Make Binding Decisions/Mandate Policies
- Participate In Formal Investigations
- Act as an arbitrator or judge
The Ombudsperson helps empower employees to overcome disputes, conflicts and barriers that stand in the way of reaching their full potential. The Ombuds Office abides by the International Ombudsman Association Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics to ensure confidentiality. Checkout the UCOP Ombuds Charter. For more information (pdf) or to make a confidential appointment, please call (510) 587-6030 .