Skip to content

Nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions (including AB 540)

In some cases, students are classified as nonresidents, but are not charged nonresident supplemental tuition. The most common of these exemptions and waivers are:

AB 540 and California Dream Act

Under California law AB 540, students who attended high school in California for three* or more years and who graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent) are exempt from paying nonresident supplemental tuition until they meet University of California residence requirements. Student must not be a nonimmigrant as defined by federal immigration law.

T or U visa holders

Students who possess a T or U nonimmigrant visa but would otherwise meet the requirements of Section AB 540 (Cal. Ed. Code § 68130.5) are exempt from paying nonresident tuition until they are eligible to establish resident classification.

Spouse, registered domestic partner, or child of deceased law enforcement officer or firefighter

A student who is a child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a deceased law enforcement officer or firefighter who, at the time of death, was a resident of California, may be entitled to a waiver from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition.

Other exceptions to residence regulations

Dependent of a California resident parent (Condit Bill)

A student who is a dependent child of a California resident parent (if the parent has been a resident for more than one year immediately before the residence determination date) may be entitled to resident classification until they have resided in California for the minimum time necessary to become a resident (as long as the student maintains continuous attendance at an educational institution).

Foster youth

A student who resides in California and is 19 years of age or under at the time of enrollment, who is currently a dependent or ward of the state through California’s child welfare system, and is no longer being served either due to emancipation or aging out of the system, is entitled to a resident classification so long as they remain continuously enrolled.

*As of January 1, 2015, you may be eligible for AB 540 if you are a UC nonresident student who has successfully completed three years of high school academic credit in fewer than three years, provided you can document having been enrolled in school in California for at least three academic years during K-12 enrollment.

© 2015 Regents of the University of California  |  Terms of use