Honorarium payments to B-1/B-2 Visa holders

The American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998 contains a provision that allows payment of honoraria and associated incidental expenses to B-1 and B-2 visa holders for "usual academic activity," provided that the services do not exceed nine days at a single institution. The payment must be offered by an institution of higher education, a nonprofit organization affiliated with an institution of higher education, or a nonprofit or a governmental research organization. These visa holders also cannot accept honoraria and/or incidental expenses from more than five such institutions or organizations in the previous six-month period. This new provision is effective for activities occurring on or after October 21, 1998.

Since the academic honoraria provision carries certain payment stipulations, the "Certification of Academic Activity" form, available below, must be completed to determine whether a foreign visitor is eligible to receive a payment.

If you have any questions regarding this form, please contact your local Disbursements Office.