Certificates of Insurance/Self Insurance

Agreements and contracts which the University enters into generally require insurance limits and evidence of the insurance via certificates of insurance. The University requires its contractors, vendors and consultants to issue certificates of insurance to the University providing evidence that the type of insurance and limits required by the contract are fulfilled Certificates of insurance or self-insurance are issued by both the contractors'/vendors' insurance carrier and the University to meet the contract requirements and evidence financial responsibility should a loss or claim arise out of the agreement or contract.

Insurance Limits Required by the University

Insurance limits are required for outside contractors, external users, vendors and consultants based on the scope of work and associated risks to the University. The applicable insurance limits indicated in the appropriate document below should be inserted in the insurance section of the contract. The documents below provide minimum insurance requirements and based on the type of contract/agreement, activity or risk to the University, increased limits may be needed. You can contact your local risk management office for input as to appropriate coverage.

Certificate of Insurance Tracking

The University of California has partnered with Insurance Tracking Services (ITS) which provides a dedicated account management team of insurance, administrative and technology professionals that actively manages certificates of insurance issued to the University.  This system ensures contracted party compliance with the University’s contractual insurance requirements.  The dedicated ITS team is available to provide assistance and respond to inquiries relating to contracted parties and evidence of insurance.

Access to the ITS system (login required):

To request access, please contact RiskServices@ucop.edu via email or phone 510-987-9832 or your local Risk Manager.

Certificate of Insurance Issuing

The University of California has partnered with Alliant Insurance Services to provide an online system to issue, view and distribute certificates of insurance the University is required to provide to evidence the University’s self-insurance coverages. 

To request access, please contact your local Campus and Health Center Risk Managers.

Access to the Alliant system (login required):

Certificates Issued by the University

A Certificate of self-insurance is issued to a non-University party as required by agreement and to evidence the required types of coverages are carried and covered by a self-insurance program. Campus and medical center risk management offices are responsible for issuing certificates of self-insurance to the requesting third party. The University of California campus and medical center risk management offices have been delegated the responsibility for issuing certificates of self-insurance. Certificates must comply with the following:

  • Certificates should be issued in the legal name of the contracting party.
  • The type of coverage and limits should not be greater than required by the contract and should not exceed the self-insurance limits.
  • The other party should not be named as an additional insured or loss payee unless it is required by the contract.
  • The expiration date should be the expiration date of the contract, license, permit, etc. but no later than the end of the current fiscal year.

When reviewing requests for renewal of certificates, all previous contracts and amendments should be reviewed to assure that the terms and conditions are still consistent with the applicable self-insurance program.

Vendor/Contractor Insurance

Vendors and contractors who do not meet the University’s Insurance requirements for general liability and professional liability can purchase Vendor/Contractor Insurance from the CampusConnexions Program. If the contractor/vendor’s application is accepted, an annual policy for University work costs $750. Go to CampusConnexions for more information about this coverage.