Property & Other Insurance: FAQ

How do you insure department property?

Property owned by the University is automatically insured under the University's Property Insurance Program. Typical perils include:

  • theft
  • vandalism
  • fire
  • water
  • lightning
  • windstorms
  • hail
  • transportation from one site to another
  • other sudden or accidental damage

Some perils that are excluded from coverage include:

  • earthquake
  • changes in temperature or humidity
  • wear, tear, deterioration
  • mysterious disappearances
  • delay; loss of use
  • war; terrorism

Back to top

What are the deductibles under the UC Property Self-Insurance Program?

The deductible is $1,000 for all perils with the following exceptions:

  • $5,000 per occurrence for water damage (90% of claim funded for losses in excess of $50,000).
  • $5,000 per occurrence for fire.
  • $1,000 per occurrence for forced-entry theft.
  • $5,000 per occurrence for non-forced entry theft.

Back to top

What would you do when a loss occurs?

  • All losses should be immediately reported to Campus Risk Management.
  • Provide a detailed description of when and how the loss happened which should include what was damaged and photos of that the damaged property and/or equipment. The property/equipment should be secured post loss to prevent further damage and to allow inspection by our claims administrator.
  • The Campus Risk Manager will report the claim to the university's Claims Administrator.
  • Claims may also be reported directly to the Claims Administrator at (800) 416-4029.
  • Notify the Office of Risk Services, Office of the President of catastrophic events.
  • Notify local or campus police in the event of a loss caused by theft or vandalism, or if the loss has created a threat to public safety.

Back to top

Is private personal property covered by University Property self-insurance?

The University insures only the property it owns or leases. There are exceptions, the University will cover property loaned or rented from a third party provided there is a written agreement signed by University authorized personnel in which the university agrees to take responsibility for the third party property. The University is not responsible for the personal property of employees, faculty and students that is kept on University premises.  Please consult BUS-39 Loss of or Damage to Property of Individuals for the complete University policy.

Back to top

How do you insure UC property while in transit?

  • Domestic shipments of University property are automatically covered under the Property Self-Insurance Program.
  • Foreign shipments: University shipments outside continental United States (Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. territories and foreign countries) are covered under a commercial marine open cargo policy (coverage is limited to scientific equipment and supplies, medical goods, automobiles and trucks, and household goods/personal effects). Coverage is provided on all-risk basis, subject to customary all-risk exclusions. Departments should notify Campus Risk Management prior to the shipment.

Back to top

How do you insure valuable artwork or rare books?

The University purchases Fine Arts Insurance which covers fine arts for all risks of physical loss or damage including earthquake and flood, subject to the policy exclusions. Coverage under the Fine Arts Insurance Policy is optional and subject to annual reporting of values for which departments are responsible for updating and advising of changes through the year. It is recommended that items that are of high value and importance to the campus be reported and scheduled for coverage under this policy. A department may secure coverage under the Fine Arts insurance by contacting the local Campus Risk Management office. Any changes should be reported promptly.

Coverage is also available for exhibits of University owned artwork at off-campus locations in the United States or Canada or non-owned artwork being exhibited on-campus. Campus Risk Management should be contacted to assist with questions on what is required for coverage or what should be done in the event of a loss.

If University owned artwork is being exhibited beyond the United States and Canada, insurance policies of overseas exhibits are written on a case-by-case basis and must be approved by Campus Risk Management no fewer than 30 days before you want coverage to begin.

The University also has a Library Collection and Unscheduled Fine Arts Policy that covers the library books and collections and unscheduled artwork. This coverage does not include earthquake. This coverage does extend automatically to any items that are not scheduled under the Fine Art Policy.

Back to top

How do you insure watercraft?

Coverage for hull damage or loss to boats, trailers, engines and machinery is covered under the University's Marine Insurance Policy. Coverage under this policy is optional and is subject to a premium charge. To obtain coverage for watercraft hull and machinery, contact local Campus Risk Management. This coverage is subject to annual reporting of values for which departments are responsible for updating and advising of changes through the year. Since coverage is optional, departments make the determination of what they want to insure.

Back to top

How do you insure boiler & machinery?

Coverage for loss or damage to boiler and machinery equipment is provided under the University's Equipment Breakdown Policy. The policy is intended to cover damage to equipment that is caused by a sudden and accidental breakdown, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Equipment that may be covered under this policy includes boilers, heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) equipment and generators. Coverage applies to equipment at all locations owned, leased and operated by the University. Please contact Campus Risk Management in regard to any questions about this coverage.

Back to top

How do you insure crime/employee dishonesty?

The University purchases Crime insurance. The Crime policy provides coverage for employee theft, theft of money and securities, fraud and forgery. Losses should be reported to Campus Risk Management.

Back to top

How do you insure Environmental/Pollution Liability?

The University purchases Environmental/Pollution Liability Insurance. The policy covers the costs associated with remediating University owned property that is damaged due to pollution or a toxic event. The policy also provides coverage for claims made against the University by third parties for property damage or injury arising out of a pollution or toxic event, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Losses should be reported as soon as possible to Campus Risk Management.

Back to top