2023-24 Exemptions, Waivers, and Tuition and Fee Reductions


Some or all instruction for all or part of the Academic Year may be delivered remotely. Tuition and fees have been set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the Academic Year. Figures for tuition and fees represent currently approved or proposed amounts and may not be final. Actual tuition and fees are subject to change by the University of California as determined to be necessary or appropriate. Final approved tuition and fee levels may differ from the amounts presented.

Exemption from tuition and fees

A student who is a spouse or registered domestic partner or child of a resident law enforcement officer or fire fighter killed in active duty shall be exempted from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition and fees in accordance with Section 68120 of the Education Code of the State of California.

In accordance with Section 66025 (formerly 32320) of the Education Code of the State of California, a resident student may be exempted from mandatory systemwide charges but shall not be exempted from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition fees if: (a) the student is the child or dependent of a veteran of the United States military who has a service-connected disability or who has been killed in service; (b) the student is the dependent of a member of the California National Guard who, while in active service of the State, has acquired a service-connected disability or has been killed in service; or (c) the student is the surviving spouse (who has not remarried) or registered domestic partner (who has not subsequently married or registered as a domestic partner) of a member of the California National Guard who, while in active service of the State, has acquired a service-connected disability or has been killed in service.

A nonresident student who meets the requirements of Section 68130.5 of the Educational Code of the State of California regarding attendance and graduation from a California high school shall be exempt from paying Nonresident Supplemental Tuition.

Students who believe themselves entitled to one of these exemptions must apply for a Tuition and fee exemption before registering. Without this authorization, students will not be permitted to register without payment of the entire charge. Graduate and undergraduate students should apply for a Tuition and fee exemption to the Registrar's Office at the campus they propose to attend.

Back to top

Nonresident supplemental tuition

Students who have not established and maintained California residence for at least one year immediately prior to the residence determination date for the term during which they propose to attend the University, and who do not otherwise qualify for resident classification under California law or University policy, are required to pay Nonresident Supplemental Tuition. Final classifications are made by the Residence Deputy, who is located in the Registrar's Office of the campus the student proposes to attend, on the basis of a Statement of Legal Residence completed by the student and signed under oath.

Prospective or current students who have questions regarding their residence status should consult the General Catalog or contact the Residence Deputy at their campus for additional information. Inquiries to the Office of the President should be sent to residency.appeal@ucop.edu.

Back to top

Waivers of Nonresident Supplemental Tuition

To the extent funds are available, the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition charge, with the approval of the President, may be remitted or waived in whole or in part in the case of any student who qualifies as a graduate student with a distinguished record, a foreign student, a teaching assistant or teaching fellow, or a research assistant; or in the case of a nonresident student who is an unmarried dependent son or daughter under the age of twenty-one or a spouse or a registered domestic partner of a member of the University faculty, who is a member of the Academic Senate.

Requests for graduate student waivers or fellowships normally should be directed to the Dean of the Graduate Division of the campus the student proposes to attend.

Back to top

Tuition and fee reductions*

Students enrolled under the Policy and Procedures Concerning Part-Time Study in the University of California shall pay the following charges:

  • Part-time undergraduate students who are approved to enroll for ten units or fewer, or an equivalent number of courses per quarter, or for two courses or fewer per semester at Berkeley or Merced, shall pay the full Student Services Fee and one-half the Tuition charge paid by full-time students.
  • Part-time graduate students who are approved to enroll for one-half or less of the regular course load stipulated in Academic Senate Regulation 702, or who are pursuing an approved part-time program as otherwise defined by the Academic Senate, shall pay the full Students Services Fee, one-half of Tuition, and, if applicable, one-half of Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition.
  • Part-time nonresident graduate and undergraduate students shall pay one-half the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition charge, one-half the Tuition charge, the full Student Services Fee, and, if applicable, one-half the Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition charge.

Eligibility for reduced fees under the systemwide part-time policy are handled at the campus level.

Under the Regents' Policy on Reduced Fee Enrollment for University Employees (pdf), the following individuals may enroll in regular session courses not to exceed three courses or nine units per quarter or semester, whichever provides the greater benefit to the employee, upon payment of one-third of the Student Services Fee charged at each campus and one-third of the Tuition charge:

  • Regular status staff employees in career positions and not represented by an exclusive representative; all academic employees appointed at more than fifty percent time in positions other than titles where student status is a condition of employment and not represented by an exclusive representative; and former University employees who have retired within four months of the date of separation from University service and who are annuitants of a retirement system to which the University contributes.
  • For staff and academic employees represented by an exclusive representative, the applicable memorandum of understanding should be consulted.

An employee so registered is ineligible for services and facilities of the counseling center, gymnasiums, or the student health services, other than those to which an employee is otherwise entitled. Tuition and fee refunds are allowed under the same procedures applicable to regular students.

The reduced Tuition and fee program does not apply to any self-supported degree programs, such as part-time or Evening MBA programs.

Students enrolled in the High School-University Special Program are assessed the same reduced charges as University employees.

Effective with the Fall term 2006, the annual Nonresident Supplemental Tuition charge for graduate doctoral students who have advanced to candidacy is reduced by 100%. A graduate doctoral student may receive the reduced Nonresident Supplemental Tuition rate for a maximum of three years. Any such student who continues to be enrolled or who re-enrolls after receiving the reduced charge for three years will be charged the full Nonresident Supplemental Tuition rate that is in effect at the time.

Effective with the Fall term 2009 and subject to the Fee Policy for Graduate Student In Absentia Registration, graduate students who register in absentia to take research or coursework leaves outside of the designated local campus region may receive an 85% reduction in both the Tuition charge and the Student Services Fee. Academic doctoral students must have advanced to candidacy, and Master's and graduate professional students must have completed at least one year of coursework, by the time the in absentia status would begin. Special cases within the above two categories can be approved by exception at the discretion of the appropriate graduate dean or professional school dean. Students who seek in absentia registration beyond the initial term of in absentia status must reapply for each subsequent period.

* For the purpose of determining reduced charges and refunds, where applicable, partial dollar amounts greater than or equal to $.50 are refunded to the next higher dollar amount. Amounts below $.50 are dropped.

Back to top