Latinx Staff Association
LaSA promotes the general welfare and interests of Latinx employees in the Office of the President and supports the educational mission of the University, particularly as it relates to the Latinx community. Membership in LaSA is open to all Office of the President employees and retirees who wish to participate in carrying out the objectives of the Association.
Nuestra historia (Our History)
The Latinx Staff Association was founded in 1993 by Ben Flores. LaSA's activities include scholarship fundraising, cultural events, exhibits, dances, tamale sales, and A's games.
Apoyando estudiantes (Supporting Latinx Students)
The Latinx Staff Association (LaSA) at the University of California, Office of the President offers students scholarships to help support their academic endeavors while enrolled at UC. LaSA’s scholarship was created to support current UC Latinx undergraduate students, including transfer students, who previously participated in a University academic preparation program (EAOP, Transfer Prep, MESA, Puente, FirstGen, etc.). LaSA’s scholarship is supported through the generosity of its members and allies.
Nuestra metas (Goals)
- Maintaining a support group that promotes the visibility of Latinx staff in the Office of the President and the University community.
- Promoting Latinx by highlighting current issues through research, publication, and other appropriate means.
- Promoting the employment, training, retention, and advancement of Latinx staff in the Office of the President and the University community, supporting the educational mission of the University, particularly as it relates to the Latinx community.
- Fostering a supportive environment that encourages participation in meaningful leadership roles by members in all personnel program tiers.
- Promoting sensitivity, awareness, and understanding within the Office of the President and the University community that fosters increased interaction and mutual respect for Latinx cultural values.
- Serving as an organized, cohesive body through which Latinx staff can influence and ensure progress with respect to Affirmative Action objectives in the Office of the President and the University community.
- Fostering greater participation for Latinx staff in policy-making bodies and committees and becoming more active in other UCOP organizations within the Office of the President.
Nuestras actividades (Activities)
- Charlas de Café – Presentations and speakers with invited guests from around UC
- Charlas de la Tarde – Upcoming Speaker Series – launching January 2023
- LaSA Day at the Ballpark – Oakland Athletics Ballgames
- Cesar Chavez Celebration
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Día de Los Muertos – Virtual Ofrenda and Physical Ofrenda
- Scholarship Fundraising
- Wellbeing challenge – Cesar Chavez Commemorative Virtual Activity Challenge
- Holiday Tamale Sale – Tamalada