Hosting foreign visitors

A license may be required for a foreign national to participate in University research. There are three important exemptions however, the release of controlled technology to a foreign national (even in the U.S.) is “deemed” to be an export.  

Visa petitions may require The University of California to certify to the federal government that it has reviewed applicable export regulations and determined whether or not an export license will be required for the foreign national’s visit. Violations of export control regulations include personal and institutional liability and substantial penalties.

Location Export Control Officers are available to help make a license determination.

The University of California is a registered exporter with the Department of State and has an obligation to comply with U.S. export and sanctions regulations (22 CFR 120-130, 15 CFR 300-799, 31 CFR 500-599).