University of California Extension

University of California Extension is the continuing education arm of the University. It is responsible for the design, coordination, and teaching of a broad range of programs for the benefit of many groups and publics. Many of its programs provide professional education to adults, most of whom already have a college education.

University Extension programs consist of classes, short courses, conferences, workshops, institutes, special programs, and lecture-discussion and study-discussion groups. Independent Study (correspondence courses), the distribution of educational films through the Center for Media and Independent Learning, and Continuing Education of the Bar are all Statewide programs sponsored by University Extension. Extension receives no State funds and is supported almost entirely by student fees.

The teaching staff includes members of the faculty of the University, faculty from other educational institutions, and professionals in special subject areas. For regular University faculty members, Extension teaching is considered an addition to normal duties, and the amount of such teaching is therefore limited. However, appropriate faculty participation and involvement in Extension activities are encouraged in order that the University may maintain leadership in continuing education and share its resources with the public.

All credit courses and instructors in University Extension must be approved by the appropriate schools, colleges, or departments and faculty committees. Each campus has an Academic Senate Divisional standing committee on University Extension which advises the Chancellor and the chief administrative officer of Extension on all matters pertaining to educational policy. Staff in the Office of the President coordinate the work of the campuses and Statewide programs and advise the Provost and Senior Vice President--Academic Affairs and the President on Extension matters.

A faculty member interested in participating in the teaching program of University Extension should discuss the possibility with the chief administrative officer for University Extension on campus as well as with the department chair.