Frequently Asked Questions

A quick how-to for using UC SHIP
Waiving UC SHIP coverage
Getting health care
Getting vision care
Taking part in UC SHIP
Download the StudentHealth app for your ID card and more
Getting registered at UCI
Getting registered at UCD, UCH, UCLA, UCM, UCR, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD and UCSF
Using your ID card
Making changes
Getting help

You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers.

UC SHIP: What is it and why does the university offer it?

UC SHIP is a not-for-profit, self-funded student health benefit plan administered by the UC Office of the President. UC SHIP was created with a student shared governance model to meet the Regental mandate that all registered students have health coverage as a non-academic condition of enrollment.

How will this help me?

While you’re at school, you may need different kinds of health care — medical, dental, vision — on campus or even in other parts of the world.

Here’s how your health plan works:

  1. The student health center (SHC)

Each campus has an SHC, a complete outpatient health center for students, providing medical and preventive care, and mental health and substance use disorder services. Many also offer a full-service pharmacy. These facilities may be known by different names on each campus (for example, The Ashe Center at UCLA or Student Health and Counseling Services at UCD). SHC clinicians serve as your family doctor while you’re at school. All registered students can use the SHC, regardless of what type of major medical insurance they have.

  1. The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)

UC SHIP offers a range of benefits, including coverage for specialty office visits, prescriptions, diagnostic services, surgery, hospitalization and out-of-area care while traveling, to name a few. The UC SHIP package also includes strong dental and vision benefits and covers most SHC fees.

Bonus: Students are automatically enrolled through their campus billing account, so there is no paperwork. Students can choose to keep UC SHIP or waive enrollment if they have coverage that meets the benefit standards established by the university. Most students keep UC SHIP because it is a comprehensive, affordable plan that covers them 12 months a year, anywhere in the world.

How can I contact someone at UC SHIP?

Contact UC SHIP at:

University of California
Office of the President
1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607


Will I have UC SHIP coverage if I’m enrolled at UC Berkeley?

If you’re enrolled at UC Berkeley, your student health insurance coverage is offered by your local campus and is not part of UC SHIP. For more information, visit UC Berkeley University Health Services.

When will I receive my Form 1095-B?

Generally, 1095-B forms will be postal-mailed by the end of February following the year that is being reported. So, for example, by early March 2021, you should have received your Form 1095-B verifying that you satisfied the “individual mandate” under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) for the 2020 tax year. For more information, visit the Form 1095-B Proof of Health Insurance page.

A quick how-to for using UC SHIP

How does UC SHIP work?

For routine care, start at the student health center (SHC) on your campus. When you need medical care, call or visit your campus’s SHC website to make an appointment. On most campuses, the SHC will file claims to UC SHIP, so you don’t have to bother with the paperwork.

If you need services at another health care facility, UC SHIP and the SHC work together to provide a comprehensive health care plan, coordinating the care you need both on and off campus. SHC clinicians will provide a referral for services outside the SHC, and SHC staff will transmit the referral to UC SHIP to ensure your claims are handled accurately.

Except for emergency room and urgent care clinic visits, and visits to pediatricians, obstetricians for prenatal or maternity care, and gynecologists, all off-campus care must be authorized by the SHC prior to receiving care. For services outside the SHC, UC SHIP contracts with Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) to provide access to its extensive network of hospitals and providers, including UC Family facilities and provider groups.

For more information about how UC SHIP works with your campus SHC, or for a list of plan benefits, visit the My Coverage page.

UC San Francisco: UCSF spouses and domestic partners are the only dependents of students who can use the SHC. UCSF student dependents do not need a referral to receive care outside the SHC.

What’s covered under UC SHIP?

For detailed information about what’s covered under UC SHIP, including medical services and conditions, visit the Plan Documents page and view the Benefit Booklet for your campus.

What is the UC Family network?

UC medical centers and UC provider groups that participate in the Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer PPO network of providers and have agreed to accept UC SHIP’s negotiated rates as full reimbursement for services.

When does UC SHIP coverage begin and end?

In general, coverage periods follow the academic terms on each campus. Coverage periods may vary depending on the program in which you are enrolled. You can find enrollment forms on the Eligibility and Enrollment page.

UC SHIP provides 12 months of insurance coverage for continuing students, including coverage during winter, spring and summer breaks.

How much does UC SHIP cost?

Please visit your campus’s SHC website to view the cost of UC SHIP coverage. You’ll find a list of campus SHCs on the Get in Touch page.

Waiving UC SHIP coverage

Can I waive enrollment in UC SHIP coverage?

Yes, if you have coverage through a major medical insurance plan that meets the university’s minimum criteria for health care. See the Waivers page for more information.

If I waive UC SHIP, can I still use the SHC on my campus?

Yes, all registered UC students can receive care at the on-campus student health center (SHC), regardless of what type of insurance they have.

Please note, however, that fees for services vary by campus, and your SHC may not submit claims to plans other than UC SHIP. You may need to file a claim with your insurer to be reimbursed for the cost of your care at the SHC.

I waived enrollment in UC SHIP for the current term. Do I need to resubmit a waiver for the next term?

Yes, you must complete a new application each academic year. Complete the application online during the fall, winter or spring waiver periods. Your waiver will be applied to the full academic year — or the remainder of the academic year if you apply during the winter or spring terms.

If you waived UC SHIP enrollment in the fall, you do not need to complete another waiver application in the winter or spring term.

I waived coverage for UC SHIP but want to reapply. How can I do this?

If you waived enrollment in the prior coverage period and want to reapply for UC SHIP, you must show proof of loss of the plan that you waived. Proof of loss means an official letter of termination from the insurance carrier. You must contact your SHC and request enrollment into UC SHIP.

Getting health care

If I am enrolled in UC SHIP, can I go to any doctor I want?

Each on-campus student health center (SHC) is the primary care provider for students enrolled in UC SHIP. This means that unless you need urgent or emergency care when the SHC is closed, or you need to see a pediatrician, an obstetrician for prenatal or maternity care, or a gynecologist, you should see an SHC clinician when you need medical attention or preventive care. If possible, try to see the same doctor or nurse practitioner for each visit. Knowing your clinician makes visits more comfortable and helps ensure the best outcome each time.

If you need a service not offered at the SHC, your clinician will refer you to an off-campus health care provider. The SHC will provide you with a referral to see the off-campus provider. This is not a guarantee of payment, and your deductible, copay and coinsurance will apply. Your SHC clinician may suggest a specific provider, or you can choose a provider. However, we strongly recommend that UC SHIP members see providers who belong to the Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer PPO network, including UC Family providers. Doing so ensures UC SHIP members will pay the lowest out-of-pocket costs.

Can I use my UC SHIP at other UC SHCs?

The student health center (SHC) at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students. If you visit an SHC at another campus, you may need to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed for any services you receive. Please check with the SHC you plan to visit for more information about fees and filing claims to UC SHIP.

Is UC SHIP coverage the same for all campuses?

All UC SHIP participants have access to the same core coverage and plan features, including:

  • 24/7 coverage across the state, nation and globe
  • Free routine physicals, including well-woman care, well-man care, and no-cost immunizations
  • Referrals to specialists and the UC Family discount
  • Access to the on-campus SHC for most health care needs, such as primary care doctor’s office visits, checkups, and vaccinations.

Some plan features, such as copays, deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums, may vary across campuses. For details, visit the My Coverage page.

Are there deductibles with UC SHIP?

Yes, a benefit year deductible applies for most medical services accessed outside the student health center (SHC). Visit the My Coverage page to check your plan’s annual deductible. This deductible does not apply to services with fees at an SHC, to emergency or urgent care clinic visits for students, or to pharmacy claims. For some UC SHIP campuses, the benefit year deductible does not apply to UC Family services.

Is there an annual limit to my out-of-pocket payments?

Yes. Each UC SHIP campus has its own out-of-pocket limits (maximums), depending on where you access care. Visit the My Coverage page to review your campus’s benefits. Medical and pharmacy copayments, as well as coinsurance and the deductible, apply toward the out-of-pocket maximum. You will pay a lower out-of-pocket maximum if you receive care from the SHC and network providers. You will pay a higher out-of-pocket maximum if you visit out-of-network providers.

Once you have met the out-of-pocket maximum, you will not be required to pay coinsurance or medical and pharmacy copayments for covered services for the rest of that benefit year. Out-of-pocket maximums do not apply to amounts exceeding stated benefit limits or to amounts for services not covered by the plan.

What if I need emergency care?

You don’t need authorization from the student health center (SHC) for visits to an emergency room or urgent care clinic. Simply provide the facility with your Anthem member ID card. Claims provided to Anthem will be processed according to UC SHIP’s benefits.

UC SHIP provides 100% coverage of allowed charges for emergency room services after a copayment, and 100% coverage of urgent care center allowed charges after a specified copayment. If Anthem determines that the reason for the visit was not an emergency, the coverage of the charges will be reduced. The annual deductible does not apply to emergency room or urgent care center visits. If you are admitted to the hospital, UC SHIP will cover a percentage of inpatient charges, and the emergency room copayment will be waived. Visit the My Coverage page to view the benefit levels, copayments and coinsurance for your campus. All follow-up care must be authorized in advance by the SHC.

What if I need medical care outside California?

While traveling in the United States, you will pay less out of pocket for care when you use an Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer PPO network provider. To locate a network provider in any state, visit the Anthem website. UC SHIP benefit levels are the same throughout the United States.

UC SHIP provides worldwide coverage. Emergency or urgent care does not require a referral from the student health center (SHC); you should seek care from the nearest emergency room or urgent care clinic. Please note that referral requirements still apply for non-urgent care when you are away from campus. Please contact your SHC for information on how to obtain a referral.

While traveling abroad, you will likely have to use an out-of-network physician and pay out of pocket for care, then file a claim to UC SHIP for reimbursement. Anthem contracts with facilities in more than 200 countries worldwide. Your Anthem coverage through UC SHIP covers most out-of-network care at 60% of customary and reasonable (C&R) charges (emergency care is covered at 100% of C&R charges). You will pay any amount above the allowed percentage of C&R charges. Benefits provided abroad are coordinated by Blue Cross Blue Shield Global® Core (formerly BlueCard Worldwide®).

In addition to UC SHIP, the university provides a travel accident policy for students traveling on university business. The travel policy is provided at no additional cost to students.

I’m participating in the Education Abroad Program. Do I need to enroll in UC SHIP?

Yes, all students participating in the Education Abroad Program are required to enroll in UC SHIP, unless they have waived coverage.

I received a bill for a medical visit. What now?

Contact Anthem with any questions about bills you receive for services outside the SHC.

Where can I find my insurance policy number?

You can find your policy number and more on the free StudentHealth app. Download StudentHealth for Android devices on Google Play or StudentHealth for iOS devices on the App Store.

I need to purchase birth control while I’m on vacation. How can I make sure this is covered?

Please contact the student health pharmacy on your campus, if available. If you do not have a pharmacy, contact OptumRx Customer Service at (844) 265-1879.

Getting vision care

How do I find a vision provider?

Vision clinics are located on the Davis, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz campuses, or you can find an Anthem Blue View Vision Insight provider to get the most out of your vision benefits. When speaking to your vision provider, make sure that they are a Blue View Vision Insight provider.

Can I get contacts and glasses?

You can obtain either glasses or contacts using the full benefit of the plan. If you use your benefits for one, you may receive a discount off the charges for the other.

How much is the cost for a contact lens fitting?

In addition to the eye exam fee, there is typically a fee for fitting and evaluation of contact lenses. The fitting fee will depend on the type of lenses to be fitted (e.g., for astigmatism or no astigmatism, soft disposable or gas permeable, and level of complexity). The fitting fee can range from $32 to $300. Blue View Vision participating network providers extend discounts to plan members, including for contact lens fitting fees. Refer to your Blue View Vision Plan Benefit Booklet for more information, and consult with your eye doctor to determine your exact needs.

Taking part in UC SHIP

Can I enroll my dependents in UC SHIP?

Yes. If you’re covered by UC SHIP, you can enroll your eligible dependents in the same medical, dental and vision coverage you have for yourself during the enrollment period. For more information about the cost of UC SHIP for dependents, and for enrollment information, see the Eligibility and Enrollment page.

I’d like an easy way to print info on UC SHIP coverage. Where can I do that?

Visit the My Coverage page for a printable brochure that provides an overview of UC SHIP coverage for your campus.

Will my UC SHIP coverage continue after I graduate?

If you are graduating, your coverage will continue through the day before the next academic term begins. However, if you graduate during spring term, your coverage will continue through the summer up to the start of fall term.

It is important to plan ahead for continuing health coverage. Except for students at UC Santa Barbara, graduating students can purchase UC SHIP coverage for one additional term after coverage ends, if they were enrolled in the plan during their final academic term. To purchase coverage for that time period, you must contact Academic HealthPlans (AHP) at before the additional term begins.

How do I update my address on file with UC SHIP?

To update your address, please contact your University Registrar.

I’m voluntarily enrolling in UC SHIP and my banking information has changed. How do I update my records?

If you are voluntarily enrolling in UC SHIP and your banking information has changed, please email Academic HealthPlans (AHP) at to update your records.

Download the StudentHealth app for your ID card and more

What is the StudentHealth app?

StudentHealth is a free app that allows UC SHIP members and their dependents to access plan ID cards and benefits information from their mobile devices. Download StudentHealth for Android devices on Google Play or StudentHealth for iOS devices on the App Store.

Why do I need the StudentHealth app?

Your member ID card is only available online. You will not receive an ID card through the mail. You need your ID card anytime you visit the student health center (SHC) on campus or go to a doctor’s office, urgent care clinic, hospital, pharmacy, etc.

Downloading the app now will give you quick access to this and other helpful UC SHIP benefits information whenever you need it.

What can I use the StudentHealth app to do?

Use your mobile device anywhere, anytime to:

  • Present your Anthem ID card when you need care.
  • Decide when you need a referral to a health care provider outside of student health, and link with your SHC to get one.
  • See what your plans cover and what your share of costs will be, if any.
  • Find out how close you are to meeting your out-of-pocket maximums for the year.

Will it work on my device?

For iOS devices, you’ll need version 7 or later. Android devices, version 3.0 or later.

What if the app doesn’t work on my device?

You can access the StudentHealth app from a web browser at

What if I am an international student and my international mobile device does not allow me to download the app?

You can access the StudentHealth app from a web browser at

I downloaded the app, but cannot install it. What can I do?

Verify that your device has enough space/memory by trying to download another app. If that fails too, clear cache, disk space and/or memory on your device. Restart your device. Make sure you are running a supported operating system on your device.

Where can I find my username information?

Click on the Profile link of the Navigation Menu. Your username is typically firstname.lastname.

How do I change my StudentHealth username and password?

On the Navigation Menu, use the Profile link in the Settings section.

Getting registered at UCI

If I am a UCI student, how do I register after I download the app?

Follow these steps to register:

  • Click the Register Now link after downloading and opening the app.
  • Enter your first and last name, student ID number and date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy); then go to the next screen.
  • Note the username at the top of the page. You can change it or leave it as it is.
  • Enter the password and confirm password. Click Next button.
  • Confirmation alert gets displayed that you have successfully registered.
  • Log in to the app with your username and password.

Registration Tip

Trouble registering? Try adjusting your input in the “first name” field:

  • First name [space] middle name (ex. Joseph Jayden)
  • First name [space] middle initial (ex. Joseph J)
  • First name [space] middle initial with a period (ex. Joseph J.)

Getting registered at UCD, UCH, UCLA, UCM, UCR, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD and UCSF

If I am a student at these campuses, how do I register after I download the app?

Follow these steps to register:

  • Click the Register Now link after downloading and opening the app.
  • Enter your student ID, first name, last name and date of birth. Click Next button.
  • Note the username at the top of the page. You can change it or leave it as it is.
  • Enter the password and confirm password. Click Next button.
  • Confirmation alert gets displayed that you have successfully registered.
  • Log in to the app with your username and password.

Using your ID card

How can I see my ID cards in the app?

On the Navigation Menu, use the ID Cards link in the Benefits section.

How can I see the details of my UC SHIP plan benefits in the app?

On the Navigation Menu, use the Descriptions link in the Benefits section.

Can my dependents see their ID cards in the app, too?

You can send an email invitation to your dependents to register to use the StudentHealth app. Enter the dependent’s email address and select the Send Registration Email button. When the dependent receives the email, he/she can click on the link in the email to complete the registration process. Or, a dependent can download the app and select the Register Now link. If using this method to register, the dependent will need to provide the benefits-enrolled student’s ID number, along with his/her own name and date of birth.

How do I find out how much I’ve spent out of pocket?

To find how much you’ve spent out of pocket, click the Anthem button from the homepage or navigation and follow the links to log in to the Anthem website. Log in using your Anthem ID and password.

Can I print my ID card?

If your device has access to a printer, print the ID card the same way you would print anything else from your device. Otherwise, take a screen capture of the ID card. Then, email it to a person or device for printing. Or, access the app from a computer with printer access.

Can Customer Support print my StudentHealth ID card?

No. Customer Support cannot see or print a StudentHealth ID card.

Making changes

How do I change my password, username or contact information?

On the Navigation Menu, use the Profile link in the Settings section.

How do I delete a message from the Notification Center?

Select the Edit button. A check box will appear next to every message. Choose the messages you want to delete. Press the Delete button. Once you delete a message, it is permanently gone.

Getting help

Who can help me with questions about my benefits?

Anthem Member Services can help: (866) 940-8306

Who can help me with problems using the app?

Please email:

Still have questions?

Please contact your campus student health center (SHC).

UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services
Hastings Student Health Services (SHS)
UCI Student Health Center
Los Angeles Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center
Merced Student Health Services
Riverside Student Health Services
San Diego Student Health Services
San Francisco Student Health & Counseling Services
Santa Barbara Student Health Services
Santa Cruz Student Health Services