Multicultural Week 2020
Culture and Connection in the Kitchen
In all cultures, storytelling evolves from the culinary experiences of people preparing and enjoying food. These stories act like cultural recipes, guiding us and helping make sense of who we are as members of our communities, as families, or members of our institutions. In honor of Multicultural Day 2020, we invite you to submit a cooking story of culture and connectivity. Share stories of how you and your culture celebrate milestones, weather struggles, express gratitude, welcome newcomers, enjoy each other’s company or display any number of human emotions and experiences through food and cooking.
Schedule of Live Events
Monday, 10/19 | 11am — 12pm PST | Culture and Connection in the Kitchen Kick-off
Join UCOP leaders and affinity group members will share their favorite food and family memories during a live Zoom event. We will also be sharing the ingredients of our Mystery Ingredient Challenge. Guests include:
- Rachael Nava, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
- Candace Sue, Associate Vice President of Communications, Marketing, and Media Relations
- Employee Engagement and Diversity Group
- UCOP affinity groups: Asian and Pacific Islander Staff Association (APISA), Black Staff and Faculty Organization (BSFO), Crafts Group, Latino Staff Association (LaSA), Native American, Indigenous and Pacific Islander Staff Association (NAIPISA), President’s Advisory Committee on the Status of Women (PACSW), Sustainability Affinity Group, UCOP Pride and OP Staff Assembly
Tuesday, 10/20 — Thursday, 10/22 | Video recipes from UCOP staff
Scroll below to watch early video recipe submissions from your colleagues at UCOP. Check back throughout the week for updated content!
Friday, 10/23 | 11am — 12pm PST | Beekeeping with Dr. Byington and Mystery Ingredient Challenge Judging
Join us for a live Zoom event with Executive Vice President and Head of UC Health Dr. Carrie L. Byington who will share a story about her experiences as a beekeeper. Then, we’ll begin the Mystery Ingredient Challenge: Contestants will reveal their recipes and a winner will be announced!
How to Participate in Multicultural Week
UCOP Food Resource List
We want everyone to participate in Culture and Connection in the Kitchen. For those that would like additional information on acquiring food items to participate, we have compiled a list of food resources located in common UCOP-counties (including Alameda, Riverside, Sacramento, Washington, DC).
Mystery Ingredient Challenge
Inspired by the popular Food Network Show “Chopped,” UCOP affinity groups have selected five ingredients for contestants to showcase their cooking creativity and storytelling genius. The ingredients will be revealed during our Multicultural Day Event on Oct. 19 (see above). The winner of this year’s contest will get bragging rights and to keep the Special UCOP Chef Hat trophy for one year!
- Recipes must include all five ingredients
- Recipes must be able to be replicated in 20 minutes or less
- Contestants must include a creative story that shares why these ingredients work (or how they developed the recipe given these ingredients)
- Contestants must either attend the Friday, Oct. 23 event to share their story live or submit a pre-recorded 5-minute video.
- If you plan to participate, send your name, email and department to Teresa.Jackson@ucop.edu.
- Contestants must submit the entry form (PDF) with a photo or pre-recorded 5-minute video no later than 5 p.m. (PT) on Thursday, Oct. 22.
Entries will be judged on:
- Use of all or most of the ingredients
- Connection of recipe to contestant story
- Visual appeal
Share your recipes for the UCOP Culture and Connection in the Kitchen Cookbook
Contribute to our UCOP culture and community by submitting your favorite story and recipe! Download the entry form (PDF) ubmissions for the UCOP Culture and Connection in the Kitchen Cookbook will be accepted through Oct. 30. Details are available in last week’s Link article.
For questions regarding the event, competition or cookbook, please email email@example.com.
Amiee Chang's Stir-Fried Greens
Dolan-Wittmer Family's Spinach Quiche
Patricia Osorio-O’Dea’s empanada de queso
Rachael Nava's Vasilopita
Tony Yang's Egg Drop Soup
UCOP Sustainability Affinity Group
Chicken soup, carrot top pesto, flautas de pollo, potato-skin chips, goat cheese and onion pizza recipes