Systemwide Provost and Executive Vice President - Academic Affairs Search 2022
Systemwide Provost and Executive Vice President - Academic Affairs
The University of California seeks a Systemwide Provost and Executive Vice President – Academic Affairs (“Provost/EVP”). Reporting to the President of the University of California and based in Oakland, California, the Systemwide Provost/EVP is both the University’s chief academic office and an executive leader in the University’s system office, the University of California Office of the President. The Provost/EVP provides vision and counsel in all areas of faculty, curricular, and student affairs planning, policy, and programs, and serves as deputy to the President.
While functioning at the University-wide level, the Provost/EVP must be sensitive to and must support the goals, priorities, and resources of the individual campuses, including through developing close working relationships with the campus executive vice chancellors/provosts and vice chancellors for research. Working with campus-level academic and research leaders and their teams and with University-wide organizations such as the Academic Senate, the Council of Executive Vice Chancellors, and the faculty writ large, the Provost/EVP facilitates the alignment of disparate views from many constituents to develop a systemwide academic strategy. The Provost/EVP also engages with the Board of Regents, the California legislature, and the state’s Washington, DC delegation, and the public.
Through all of these activities and responsibilities, the Provost/EVP contributes broadly to the ongoing success and impact of the country’s most significant public research university. The position therefore provides the successful candidate an extraordinary opportunity to play a role in shaping the future of higher education in the State of California and at the national level.
Search Advisory Committee
- Michael V. Drake, M.D., President, UC Office of the President (Chair)
- Cynthia K. Larive, Chancellor, UC Santa Cruz (Co-Chair)
- Nathan Brostrom, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, UC Office of the President
- Carrie L. Byington, Executive Vice President, University of California Health, UC Office of the President
- Gwen Chodur, UC Graduate & Professional Council President; Graduate Student, UC Davis
- Susan D. Cochran, UC Academic Senate Vice Chair; Professor, Epidemiology, UCLA
- Robert B. Horwitz, UC Academic Senate Chair; Professor, Communications, UC San Diego
- Mariam Lam, Vice Chancellor & Chief Diversity Officer, UC Riverside
- Daniel H. Lowenstein, Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost, UC San Francisco
- Gary S. May, Chancellor, UC Davis
- Rachael Nava, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, UC Office of the President
- Crystal Petrini, Council of UC Staff Assemblies Chair; Financial & Administrative Officer, English & Philosophy, UC Riverside
- Esmeralda Quintero-Cubillan, UC Student Association President; Undergraduate Student, UC Santa Barbara
- Pablo G. Reguerin, Vice Chancellor Student Affairs, UC Davis
- Elizabeth H. Simmons, Executive Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs, UC San Diego
- Nancy Chen Lane, Senior Director, Systemwide Human Resources, UC Office of the President (Staff Equity Advisor)
Inquiries and Nominations
The University of California has retained Opus Partners to support this recruitment. Confidential inquiries and nominations should be sent to Craig Smith, Partner at email@example.com. Inquiries may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University hopes to complete its selection during the summer of 2022. Review of candidate materials will begin on May 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit materials using the online application by May 25, 2022.
Applications must be complete to be reviewed for consideration. A complete application includes the following four items: 1) Letter of Interest; 2) CV; 3) Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Contributions Statement; and 4) completion of online application form.
The search process is confidential.