Research Policy Analysis and Coordination
UC Guidance and Policy
Academic Personnel and Programs
- COVID-19-Related Leave for Academic Appointees: Guidance for Supervisors (Revised April 14, 2020)
- Answers to questions about UC job protections through June 30 (April 6, 2020)
- Guidance Regarding COVID-19 Related Leaves and Job Protections, issued by Academic Personnel & Programs (April 13, 2020).
Chief Financial Officer
- On March 16, 2020, UC President Janet Napolitano issued an Executive Order that outlines expanded paid administrative leave to address the extraordinary demands placed on UC employees due to impacts related to COVID-19 on themselves and their family members.
Research Grants Program Office (RGPO)
- The Research Grants Program Office (RGPO), which manages various UC intramural grants programs, issued this guidance:
"During this period of uncertainty amid a declared public health emergency due to COVID-19, the Research Grants Program Office (RGPO) of the University of California is committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our staff, grantees, and the community. We recognize that many research projects, institutions, faculty, and trainees are adjusting to new work and personal circumstances and we want to extend our support to everyone effected.
To ensure our grantees have flexibility over the next few months, RGPO is issuing the following guidelines related to reporting and research continuity:
- Progress and fiscal reports that are due within the next four months (on or before August 1, 2020) will receive an automatic deadline extension of one month.
- As per current RGPO policy, all grants are eligible to receive an automatically-approved three-month no cost time extension at the conclusion of their project period.
- As per current RGPO policy, carryforward of up to 25% is allowable without approval.
- For required research protocol changes, please contact your Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), or other research regulatory bodies for approval, and then submit that approval to the RGPO funding program. Notification to our office of any assurance approvals or renewals due in the next four months (on or before August 1, 2020) will receive an automatic 30-day deadline extension.
- If you need to reduce the scope of your research plan, please contact the Program Officer assigned to your grant.
RGPO is closely monitoring University of California, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and other granting instructions for guidance on research practices, and RGPO is considering additional changes to support our researchers in the upcoming weeks. Please visit our website for program-specific updates."
- UC Health Executive Vice President Carrie L. Byington, MD sent a letter on March 9, 2020 outlining recommendations for COVID-19 preparedness at the University of California.
Vice President for Research and Innovation Theresa A. Maldonado
- UC's Vice President for Research and Innovation Theresa A. Maldonado issued a letter to the UC Research Community (March 27, 2020).