Institutional Research and Academic Planning
Report on Fall 2009 Freshman Intent to Register Outcomes
Note: The Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) is an interim step in the overall application, admission and enrollment cycle. An admitted student submits an SIR following admission to signal his or her intent to accept the admission offer and enroll at a UC campus. Final enrollment figures for the fall term are typically available in January of the following year. For the fall 2009 term, 34,296 California resident students have indicated their intent to enroll at the University of California, a 6.5 percent reduction compared to the fall 2008 term (36,683). Based on this preliminary outcome, the University will be successful in reducing its incoming freshman class by 2,300 students, as was recommended by President Mark G. Yudof and approved by The Board of Regents at its January 2009 meeting.
The University continues to make positive strides in enrolling a freshman class that is broadly representative of California's diverse population. At 24.9 percent, underrepresented students (African American, American Indian, Chicano/Latino) increased as a proportion of the projected entering freshman class, although the number of students in all ethnic categories declined due to the enrollment reductions.
Table 1 (pdf) presents the complete picture of Fall 2009 California and domestic freshman admissions and anticipated enrollments. It includes data on applicants admitted in March 2009 for the fall 2009 term, as well as data on alternate admissions offers to fall 2009 applicants, including referral and winter/spring term offers. Offers to international students have been excluded from this table except for the alternate spring offers at Berkeley.
Table 2 (pdf) provides three-year comparative information on projected enrollments by residency and ethnicity. California resident students comprise 94 percent of the Fall 2009 entering freshman class, with the remaining 6 percent of students planning to enroll evenly divided between domestic/non-resident and international students. This distribution is generally consistent with the outcomes of the two previous terms. Note that the growth in international students actually occurred in 2008 and is down slightly in 2009.
Table 3 (pdf) displays the distribution of fall term intent to register by campus and ethnicity for California and domestic applicants. The data in this table are based on students admitted to fall 2009, including those admitted through referral. Fall 2009 applicants admitted to the spring 2010 term at UC Berkeley are not included in this data, however a complete (fall and spring) summary of Berkeley outcomes can be found in Table 1. Consistent with the analyses provided to the Board of Regents in January, most campuses were able to sustain or increase the proportion of underrepresented minority students in their projected freshman class despite an overall decrease in the size of the incoming class.
Table 4 (pdf) displays the yield rate (intent to enroll/admits) for California and domestic freshmen admitted during the fall admissions cycle. Systemwide, the yield rate dropped, as anticipated, from 51.1 percent for fall 2008 to 47.9 percent for the fall 2009 term. Consistent with the overall rate, yield also declined on most campuses, however both Santa Barbara and Merced made note-worthy gains. Table 4 does not include students offered admission to an alternate term.
Table 5 (pdf) displays the yield rate (intent to enroll/admits) for all freshmen admitted during the normal admission cycle, including International students.