Frequently asked questions

Our school offers honors sections for our ninth-grade courses. We understand that these courses will not receive the UC honors designation. Should these courses be submitted separately for “a-g” approval?

All honors courses, including those that do not meet the criteria for the UC honors designation, should be submitted to UC for “a-g” approval and listed separately on the "a-g" course list. The content covered in the regular and honors sections of a curriculum may be similar, but not identical, and thus requires separate course submissions and "a-g" approval. It is also acceptable for these courses to contain “honors” in the course title.

Is there a limit to the number of extra points from UC-approved honors courses that can be added to the UC GPA?

Yes, students may earn up to four years (eight semesters) of honors points of which a maximum of two years (four semesters) of extra honors points can be earned in grade 10. Grades of D or F are not assigned an extra point.

Can a ninth-grade student take an AP or other UC-approved honors-level course?

Most students complete honors-level coursework in grades 11 and 12, although some advanced students may be able to complete these courses earlier. A ninth-grade student may enroll in an AP or other UC honors-level course and use the course toward fulfilling an "a-g" subject requirement if they earn grades of C or better. The student will not receive the extra honors points in their UC GPA because grades from the ninth grade are not included in the UC GPA.

Does UC award the extra honors point if a student completes an AP or IB course, but does not take the exam?

Yes, if a student completes an "a-g" approved AP or designated IB course with grades of C or better they will automatically earn the extra honors points in their UC GPA, even if they did not take the AP or IB exam.

How are AP courses added to an “a-g” course list? Can an AP course be added that is under Audit review?

AP courses may be added to an "a-g" course list via the A-G Course Management Portal (CMP), but will not require a full course review. Content from the program's original submission will be pre-populated into the new course submission form fields.

Only courses hat have passed the AP Course Audit may be added to "a-g" course lists. Institutions should submit AP Course Audit materials to the College Board in a timely manner to ensure their new AP courses are authorized and then submitted to UC for “a-g” review prior to the close of the annual submission period on September 15.

Are all International Baccalaureate (IB) courses automatically granted the UC honors designation?

UC faculty has approved designated IB courses to receive the UC honors designation. For a list of IB courses that are granted this honors status, please refer to the International Baccalaureate program's “a-g” course list.

We offer a UC-transferable college course at our high school through a dual enrollment program with a local college. Should the college course be listed on our school’s “a-g” course list?

College courses should not be listed on a high school’s “a-g” course list. The student will list the college course on their UC application as taken through the community college. The student will also be required to send a transcript from the college, in addition to their high school transcript, to their matriculated UC campus in July, even if the credits for the college course are also added to the student’s high school transcript.