Frequently asked questions

Does UC approve semester-long courses in the “f” subject area?

Yes. Beginning with the 2015-16 submission period, UC will begin to accept semester-long courses in the visual and performing arts (VPA) subject area. This reverse in the original VPA policy that was implemented in 2006, was a result of the UC faculty's re-review and revisions to the "f" subject area course criteria.

However, the UC faculty prefer for students to complete a single yearlong visual and performing arts course to satisfy the "f" requirement. If that is not a viable option, students may also fulfill the requirement by completing two semesters of sequentially related courses approved within a single arts discipline. The two semester-long courses must:

  1. Both be categorized within the same arts discipline of dance, music, theater or the visual arts.
  2. Demonstrate a sequential relationship of some sort, whether by being tied together because the one semester-long course is a stated prerequisite to the another semester-long course, or because one semester-long course reasonably serves as a good foundation to another semester-long course.

Can a student repeat a visual and performing arts course after they have already completed the course with a grade of C or better?

All approved visual and performing arts courses may be taken more than one time and all grades earned from the course completed in the 10th and 11th grades will be included in the UC GPA.

Does the yearlong VPA course need to be completed in the same academic year? May the student take the first semester one year and the second semester the next year?

A student does not need to complete their yearlong VPA course in a single academic year. However, the course must be taken in sequence, that is, the first semester must be taken before the second semester.

Does UC approve online visual and performing arts courses?

Beginning with the 2017-18 submission period, UC will accept online courses in the visual and performing arts (VPA) “f” subject area for a satisfying subject area. The fundamental review criteria for online VPA courses are exactly the same as those for classroom-based VPA courses.

Can courses in art history be approved in the visual and performing arts ("f") subject area?

Art history courses may be approved in the visual and performing arts subject area if the course meets the "f" subject area course criteria and includes a creative component.