is Science Today. People who clean houses for a living may be at higher
risk for chronic breathing problems. Environmental engineering
professor William Nazaroff of the University of California, Berkeley
found that chemicals called terpenes, which are found in common,
scented cleaning products could
take a toll if used too often.
Nazaroff: There is evidence that's emerging in the literature that shows that people who are occupationally employed as house cleaners have a higher incidence of occupational asthma than many other professions.
Narrator: To cut this risk, Nazaroff offers advice to anyone who uses these products everyday on the job.
Nazaroff: Don't use more of the product than necessary to complete the job. Use it in dilute form wherever that's possible. Don't store the cleaning products, the rags and the towels and so forth that have been used in spaces where people will be breathing those fumes again. Take the used products and throw them away once they've been used.
Narrator: For Science Today, I'm Larissa Branin.