Certificates of insurance and insurance limits

University of California Certificate of Self-Insurance Coverage 2014-15 (pdf)


Agreements and contracts which the University enters into generally require insurance limits and evidence of the insurance via certificates of insurance. Certificates of insurance or self-insurance are issued by both the contractors'/vendors' insurance carrier and the University to meet the contract requirements and evidence financial responsibility should a loss or claim arise out of the agreement or contract.

Indemnification Agreement with CSU (pdf)

Indemnification & Insurance for CSU Students Receiving Practical Training (pdf)

Insurance limits required by the University

Insurance limits are required for outside contractors, external users, vendors and consultants based on the scope of work and associated risks to the University. The applicable insurance limits indicated in the appropriate document below should be inserted in the insurance section of the contract. The documents below provide minimum insurance requirements and based on the type of contract/agreement, activity or risk to the University, increased limits may be needed. You can contact your local risk management office for input as to appropriate coverage.

University policy

Insurance Requirements & Certificates of Insurance (BUS-63) (pdf)

Certificates issued to the University

The University requires its contractors, vendors and consultants to issue certificates of insurance to the University providing evidence that the type of insurance and limits required by the contract are fulfilled.

Certificate of Insurance Tracking (Coming Soon)

The University of California will be launching a new solution for tracking certificates of insurance and compliance received from vendors and contractors with Insurance Tracking Services.

Certificate of Insurance Issuing (Coming Soon)

The University of California will be launching a new solution for issuing certificates of insurance in the near future.

Certificates issued by the University

A Certificate of self-insurance is issued to a non-University party as required by agreement and to evidence the required types of coverages are carried and covered by a self-insurance program. Campus and medical center risk management offices are responsible for issuing certificates of self-insurance to the requesting third party. The University of California campus and medical center risk management offices have been delegated the responsibility for issuing certificates of self-insurance. Certificates must comply with the following:

  • Certificates should be issued in the legal name of the contracting party.
  • The type of coverage and limits should not be greater than required by the contract and should not exceed the self-insurance limits.
  • The other party should not be named as an additional insured or loss payee unless it is required by the contract.
  • The expiration date should be the expiration date of the contract, license, permit, etc.

When reviewing requests for renewal of certificates, all previous contracts and amendments should be reviewed to assure that the terms and conditions are still consistent with the applicable self-insurance program.