OTT-Managed DOE Portfolios
- The OTT continues to manage a portfolio of 66 inventions for the DOE Laboratories, most disclosed prior to
the establishment of the DOE independent licensing offices. However, OTT continues to receive some new disclosures
when UC campuses are also involved or the technology is closely related to one already administered by OTT.
- Both LBNL’s Liposome Delivery System for Chemotherapeutic drugs and LLNL’s Chromosome Painting technologies
earned substantial income in FY97, resulting in a $62,000 increase in adjusted gross income. For the Liposome Delivery
System, a minimum royalty of $200,000 was received in FY97. Chromosome Painting Technologies generated $26,000
- The substantial increase in net legal expenses are largely attributable to the University’s share of FY97 litigation
costs for an infringement involving the Chromosome Painting technologies. These are being split with the licensee.
- Due to the unique nature of the Laboratories and the fact that they do not receive State funds, the Laboratories
are not subject to a State share assessment. DOE Liaison costs are allocated between the three Labs based on the
same algorithm applied to allocate other fees and cost reimbursements owed the University for Lab oversight.
- The sharp increase in net legal expenses offset the increase in adjusted gross income, resulting in a net loss
for the OTT-managed DOE Laboratories portfolio of $496,000.
Back / Home
/ OTT Home