President Dynes names search committee for new UC Berkeley chancellor
University of California President Robert C. Dynes has named a 17-member committee of university regents, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community representatives to advise him in the search for the next chancellor of UC Berkeley.
Last September, Chancellor Robert M. Berdahl announced his intention to step down as chancellor next summer. Berdahl, who was appointed UC Berkeley's eighth chancellor in 1997, plans to take a year off and then return to campus to teach and pursue scholarly work.
Serving on the advisory committee will be:
- Catherine Gallagher, chair of the department of English and Eggers Professor of English Literature, UC Berkeley;
- Herma Hill Kay, Barbara Nachtrieb Armstrong Professor of Law and former dean, Boalt Hall School of Law, UC Berkeley;
- William A. Lester, Jr., professor, department of Chemistry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Dynes, chairman of the committee;
- Alexandra Navrotsky, professor, department of chemical engineering and material sciences, UC Davis;
- Lawrence Pitts, professor, department of neurosurgery at UC San Francisco, and chair of the University of California's Academic Council;
- Richard C. Blum, chairman of Blum Capital Partners and a UC regent;
- John G. Davies, an attorney with the Allen, Matkins, Leck, Gamble & Mallory firm in San Diego and a UC regent;
- Judith L. Hopkinson, former chief operating officer of Ameriquest Capital Corp. and a UC regent;
- Velma Montoya, a consultant on educational and regulatory policy and a UC regent;
- John J. Moores, chairman of JMI Services Inc. in San Diego and chairman of the Board of Regents;
- Gerald L. Parsky, chairman of Aurora Capital Partners and a UC regent;
- Pamela L. Burnett, director, office of undergraduate admissions, UC Berkeley;
- Kris Cuaresma-Primm, president, Associated Students, UC Berkeley;
- Jessica Quindel, president, Graduate Assembly, UC Berkeley;
- Nadesan Permaul, president, California Alumni Association, UC Berkeley;
- Dwight L. Barker, board chair, UC Berkeley Foundation;
The committee's first meeting is set for Jan. 28, 2004, at UC Berkeley, where committee members will meet in closed session with groups of faculty, staff, students and community representatives to gather ideas and comments regarding the search and to learn the distinct needs of the Berkeley campus.
The committee also will be involved in recruiting, screening and conducting interviews with candidates for the position. The process will be assisted by the search firm of A.T. Kearney Inc.
Dynes hopes to bring a recommendation on a candidate to the Board of Regents by April.
For more information about the search from the Berkeley campus: http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/01/05_chancellor.shtml
Send comments or questions
about this web site to one of the webmasters