SCREENING COMMITTEE NAMED TO AID IN SELECTION PROCESS FOR LABORATORY DIRECTOR
A screening committee has been formed by the University of California to assist the advisory committee appointed by UC President Robert C. Dynes in the search for a new director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL).
The 15-member screening committee consists of LBNL employees, researchers, UC faculty, and members of the UC President's Council on the National Laboratories.
The chair of the screening committee is William Frazer, vice president of the Aspen Center for Physics. The group will work in concert with the advisory committee, which was announced earlier this month and which serves as the most direct source of counsel to President Dynes on the selection of a new laboratory director. Dynes hopes to bring a recommendation on a candidate to the UC Board of Regents later this spring.
Members of the screening committee are:
- William R. Frazer, chair, vice president, Aspen Center for Physics, professor emeritus of Physics, UCB and senior vice president emeritus, UC;
- Don DePaolo, scientist and professor, Earth Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Tom Elioff, former assistant director, Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory Division, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center and Director of SPEAR-3 Construction Project;
- Roger Falcone, professor of Physics, UC Berkeley;
- William L. Friend, retired executive vice president, Bechtel Group, Inc. and chair of the UC President's Council on National Laboratories;
- Randy Katz, professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, UC Berkeley;
- Kevin Lesko, senior physicist, Nuclear Science Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Barbara J. Meyer, professor of Molecular and Cell Biology, UC Berkeley;
- Peter Nugent, computational staff scientist, Computational Research Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Howard Padmore, senior staff scientist and head, Experimental Systems Group, Advanced Light Source Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Alex Pines, professor of Chemistry, UC Berkeley;
- Kem Robinson, acting division director, Engineering and Laboratory Project Management Officer, Operations Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory;
- Sunil K. Sinha, professor of Physics, UC San Diego;
- Robert Tjian, professor of Molecular & Cell Biology, UC Berkeley; and,
- George Trilling, professor emeritus of Physics, UC Berkeley and former Director of Physics Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
The screening committee will support the advisory committee. Serving on the committee to advise the president on the selection of a director are:
- George Blumenthal, vice chair, Academic Council and professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics, UC Santa Cruz;
- Beth Burnside, vice chancellor for research and professor of Cell Developmental Biology, UC Berkeley;
- John Clarke, investigator, Material Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and professor of Physics, UC Berkeley;
- Ward Connerly, president, Connerly and Associates Inc. and UC regent;
- Sidney D. Drell, senior fellow, Hoover Institution and professor Emeritus of Theoretical Physics at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford University;
- Judith L. Hopkinson, former chief operating officer of Ameriquest Capital Corporation and UC regent;
- Odessa Johnson, dean emerita of Community Education at Modesto Junior College, member of the Modesto City Schools Board of Education and a UC regent;
- Peter Preuss, president, The Preuss Foundation and UC regent;
- Laurence Seigler, president, Alumni Associations of UC and ex officio UC regent; and,
- Peter G. Wolynes, professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UC San Diego.
Advising the committee is Natalie Roe, senior scientist, Physics Division, LBNL.
Ex officio members of the selection committee include:
- Robert C. Dynes, convener of the committee;
- M. R. C. Greenwood, provost and senior vice president, UC;
- John J. Moores, chair of JMI Services Inc. in San Diego and chair of the UC Board of Regents; and,
- S. Robert Foley, vice president, UC laboratory management.
# # #
NOTE : Anyone wishing to comment on points that should be considered in the selection of a new LBNL director should do so in writing to President Robert C. Dynes, University of California, 1111 Franklin St 12 th Floor Oakland, CA 94607-5200 .
For more information about the UC-managed national laboratories, please visit:
For more news and information about the University of California, please see:
Send comments or questions
about this web site to one of the webmasters