Information Technology Services
ITS provides support for desktops and laptops to UCOP personnel in Oakland-based departments.
ITS is responsible for ensuring the security of the UCOP network. In the event a machine is compromised, ITS removes it from the network immediately and performs any necessary maintenance up to and including re-imaging the machine.
- Administrator Access: ITS support staff have administrator privileges and remote management access to all UCOP desktop computers. For security reasons, departmental employees are not normally provided administrator privileges. Any administrator privileges granted to departmental employees must be arranged with and approved by ITS management. If any problems are caused by departmental administrator access, privileges may be cancelled.
- Provide central helpdesk for all computing questions about services, hardware, and software
- Track problems through incident ticketing system
- Provide hands-on assistance with software/hardware problems
- Conduct remote troubleshooting of computers on UCOP network
- Set up and manage laptop encryption
- Tests patches for compatibility with our standard software
- Provide centralized security patching, spam e-mail filtering and anti-virus services
- Manage listservs
- Research, test, and deploy new tools and technologies
- Install and support the standard operating system, called the managed desktop image (MDI)
- Purchase licenses for and install standard software (i.e., Microsoft Office, Adobe)
- Use networked tools for automated installation of updates and patches to standardized software
- Assist in the installation of nonstandard software (does not configure, troubleshoot, or provide user training)
Note: Departments purchase non-standard software. Nonstandard software is removed if it interferes with monthly patch administration.Hardware
- Support current models of Dell and Mac machines.
- Install, configure and, as necessary, arrange for repair of in-warranty supported hardware. Departments pay for any out-of-warranty repairs.
- Maintain departmental hardware inventory; notify departments when warranty is due to expire
- Provide a price quote for recommended hardware purchases and the department is responsible for procuring the hardware (desktops, laptops).
Note: Departments purchase their own desktops/laptops: All computers must be under warranty. It is recommended that Dell machines be supported by Dell’s Gold Maintenance Plan and Macs be supported through AppleCare.