Information Technology Services
Announcement from EVP Brostrom about July 1 implementation of e-mail management
May 01, 2012
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT COMMUNITY
In consultation with Charlie Robinson, last year David Ernst and I sent out some best practice guidelines for e-mail management for UCOP. E-mail management:
- helps employees cope with e-mail volume;
- helps employees find business records stored in a central location, rather than an individual’s e-mail account;
- mitigates risk for the institution by reducing the volume of e-mail that may be subject to legal searches; and
- is simply good business practice.
We are continuing to look for ways to support good e-mail management at UCOP. To this end, President Yudof and his Cabinet have approved a program, beginning July 1, to automaticallydelete all unmanaged e-mail – messages that have not been moved to a storage location – after one year. Please note that you may keep any e-mail you need, but you must move it to a file share, a personal folder, the new Outlook Archive that will be available starting June 30, or other storage location. These storage locations are not subject to deletion.
ITS is charged with implementing automatic e-mail management and has worked with departments to refine the program and provide resources to help you manage your e-mail. Many departments are training their staffs about e-mail management and preparing for the program. ITS has scheduled demos of techniques to manage e-mail. All demos will be held from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., on the following dates in these locations:
- Tuesday, May 22: Kaiser Building, Room 1217
- Wednesday, May 23: 415 20th Street Building, Room 302
- Friday, May 25: Franklin Building, Lobby 1 Conference Room
Please review information on the web about preparing for program implementation. Thank you in advance for practicing good e-mail management!
Executive Vice President, Business Operations