Information Technology Services
UCOP Active Directory Password Standard
To safeguard UC electronic information resources, UCOP Information Technology Services (ITS) has instituted a password standard for the UCOP Windows Active Directory (AD). This standard applies to your Windows-based computer, Outlook e-mail and calendar (including Outlook Web Access), and VPN services. It will be enforced whenever new passwords are created.
- Passwords must contain a minimum of 8 characters.
- Password characters must be from at least three (3) of the following categories:
- English uppercase letters (A - Z)
- English lowercase letters (a - z)
- Base 10 digits (0 - 9)
- Non-alphanumeric (!, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, ), -, +, <, >, ?
- The passwords must be complex and not easily guessable or obtainable.
- Do not use simple words. e.g. "password," "welcome," or "hello".
- Do not include three or more consecutive characters from your user name.
- Passwords must be changed every 180 calendar days. You cannot change your password to any of the past 10 passwords you used.
- If you incorrectly enter your password more than 5 times in 10 minutes, your account will be locked for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of inactivity, your account will be automatically unlocked. The only way to have your account unlocked sooner is to contact the Service Desk to have your password reset.
- Any password reset by the Service Desk will be pre-expired, meaning you will be required to change the password upon the first logon.
- If you do not use your password in 180 calendar days, your account will be considered inactive and will be locked. You will need to request a new password from the Service Desk. To prevent this, we recommend that you change your password before you leave for an extended period of time, such as extended sabbaticals or vacations.
- Call the Service Desk at (510) 987-0457 or email the Service Desk.