Major Differences Between Construction Document Types
Volume 4, Chapter 3 - Construction Document Differences
|ITEM||TYPE OF DOCUMENT|
|LONG FORM||BRIEF FORM||MINI FORM|
|Administration of contract documents||By University's Representative||By University's Representative||By University|
|Advertising of bids||Required||Required||Not Required3|
|Alternates||As required||As required||Not used|
|Formal bid protests||Required||Required||Not Required|
|Bid security||Required||Required||Required (if project estimate >$50,000)|
|Builders Risk Insurance||Required||
|Cost Proposal||As required||As required||Not used|
|Identification of Apparent Lowest Responsible Bidder||Required||Required||Required (unless contract negotiated)|
|Listing of Subcontractors||Required||Required||Required unless contract negotiated)|
|· Progress payments||Monthly||Monthly||Monthly (if contract over $25,000)|
|· Retention||5%||5%||5% (if Facility makes Progress payments)|
|Escrow Agreement for Deposit of Securities in Lieu of Retention and Deposit of Retention into Escrow||Contractor may elect||Contractor may elect||Not used|
|Pre-bid conference||Required||Required||Not required4|
|Public bid opening||Required||Required||Not required|
|Sealed bids||Required||Required||Required (unless contract negotiated)|
|Withdrawal of bid||Not allowed5||Not allowed5||Not allowed5|
- Federal agencies funding University projects often require competitive bidding for projects valued at over $10,000. See the rules of the applicable funding agency.
- Builder's risk property insurance is required for Brief Form contracts valued at over $200,000.
- The Facility may always advertise a project, regardless of cost.
- The Facility may mandate a pre-conference, regardless of cost.
- Withdrawal of bid is not allowed except in accordance with University policy (Regents' Policy).