Business Resource Center
A payroll separation form (xlsx) is available to assist HR business partners with the separation process. A separation checklist (xlsx) is available for department personnel managers as a guide to collecting property and canceling services for separating employees in the separation process.
The BRC Payroll Team will:
- Enter requisite data into EDB,
- Provide a copy of the separation IDOC for departmental records.
- Provide a letter for the separating employee (pdf) with benefits contacts
- EDD - For Your Benefit booklet - California's Programs for the Unemployed
UCnet, Human Resources’ online employee self-service site, includes information for the separating employee including a Termination of Employment Benefits Checklist (pdf). When termination is processed via payroll, this triggers communication to CONEXIS, the provider of COBRA information to the separated employee (see letter for separating employee).
UCLA Payroll has a turnaround time of two working days for the processing of payroll checks outside of the normal pay cycle. Complete paperwork must be submitted to the BRC by 11 am in order for the check to be available on the second day following. For example, for a check to be available on Friday, the request must be in the BRC by 11 am on Wednesday.
- For involuntary terminations without notice, a paper check must be given to the employee at the time of discharge. This does not include layoffs. The department needs to make arrangements with BRC to assure check is ready at the desired time.
- For other terminations, the final check will be deposited directly into the employee’s bank account if employees are using direct deposit for paychecks.
Inter-campus transfer separations
For transfers to another campus, including UC Merced and UCLA, the separating department completes and submits the following to the BRC Payroll Team:
- Separation Form with appropriate separation code
- Employee statement of job acceptance
- Campus payroll contact for receiving department
- Final time sheet approved by supervisor (completed by Employee)
The BRC Payroll Team will:
- Reconcile vacation and sick leave balances
- Provide separation IDOC to department and employee
- Provide benefit and other applicable screens to the receiving location
- Provide UFIN301 or benefits screens documenting service credits, vacation & sick leave balances, original hire date, and insurance coverages.
NOTE: The “separation” is processed without a break in service. Vacation is NOT paid when an employee transfers locations. Benefits for all intercampus employees continue for an additional month, provided that the correct separation code is used.