Language other than English ("e")

Two units (equivalent to two years or through the second level of high school instruction) of the same language other than English, three units recommended, including:

  • Emphasis on speaking and understanding
  • Instruction on grammar and vocabulary
  • Practice with reading and composition

Course guidance

In any language studied, the minimum performance objectives after two years of high school study should be the following:

  • The ability to sustain a brief conversation on simple everyday topics demonstrating good use of the whole sound system (good pronunciation), and the basic structural patterns in the present, past and future tenses, the subjunctive, and commands.
  • Summarize orally and in writing the main points of a relatively simple reading passage not involving specialized vocabulary.

Emphasis should not be on the ability to describe grammatical features of the language.

Sample courses

Samples of courses approved in the “e” subject area are available for reference as you prepare your own course for UC approval.


Other options for satisfying the “e” subject requirement

UC-transferable college courses or satisfactory scores on SAT Subject, AP or IB exams can also be used to fulfill the language other than English (LOTE) subject requirement.


Proficiency in a language other than English

Generally, bilingual students are considered to have met the “e” subject requirement and may choose not to enroll in language other than English courses. Students who elect not to take courses in a language other than English may satisfy the “e” requirement by one of the following methods:

  • Formal schooling in a language other than English – Students who have completed two years of formal schooling at the sixth-grade level or higher in a school where a language other than English was used as the medium of instruction have met the LOTE requirement. A school transcript or other official document is required.
  • Assessment by a recognized test or University – Earning a satisfactory score on a SAT Subject, AP or IB exam, or a proficiency test administered by a UC campus or other university can demonstrate a student’s proficiency in a language other than English. Most language departments at universities will conduct an assessment and issue a statement of competency on official letterhead serving as certification.
  • Certification by high school principal In cases where the options above are not available, certification by the high school principal is acceptable. Principals should develop and maintain clear standards for providing this certification. Certification should be based on the judgment of language teachers, advice of professional or cultural organizations with an interest in maintaining language proficiency, or other appropriate sources of expertise. The principal notes the certification of competency on the student’s transcript with the language and level of proficiency.